Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD + HEI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mikeyg79, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

I've been thinking of upgrading my ignition (not sure why, but isn't that how it all works.)
    Anyway, does anyone know how the MSD box works with an HEI?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Very well. The MSD woke my 350 up alot after the install of the MSD 6 Offroad box. It runs a heck of alot better now then it did then. It gets better mpg, quickr starts, better power, and idles better too. It was worth the money in my opinion. I would say aside from the 350, and the 3/4 locked axles it is the best mod I have done to my truck.

3. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

I've run my HEI & MSD with remote timing option for 4 years now and have nothing but good to say about it. Love the fast starts and the ability to adjust the timing from inside the cab. Highly reccomend the MSD/HEI setup. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

runnin HEI and an MSD 6al. all good!!

5. Mikeyg79

Mikeyg79 Registered Member

Sounds like I need to get me one..
    But how do the two units (the box and the HEI) actually connect?

6. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

If everything is tuned correctly, you wont notice jack. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Alot of people do the cap, rotor, and plug thing along with getting new box and all the praise is given to the box. Never could quite grasp the idea of trying to light a fire by flicking your bic on and off real fast instead of just keeping it lit. By that I mean multiple sparks to ignite the mixture.

I can't be too biased because I spent $230 on the MSD HEI coil, module, low resistance bushing, and super condcutor wires. The module/coil made revs past 5 grand alot easier, but didn't do much of anything else. I will give it this though, the plugs look perfect and it always pops right off. Even with the Holley /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

You will notice a slight change, but considering that you'll spend $200 on the box, $65 for the coil, and possibly a few dollars for that bushing, is it that kinda money worth a slight change. Spend your money on some headers and a good tune-up with Delco parts.

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Well I would have to disagree. MSD 6A and 6Als work great. They give you multiple spark at low end, so it helps burn the fuel, like when wheeling. It helps it start up easier, and you get a little more power. When you have a built motor is when you really notice it though. My drag car really woke up with MSD, but thats 500 + hp.
    As for hook up to the Hei, its real easy if you have the 4 pin module. You pull the module out, replace it with the two wire connector supplied, and you are done. It actually removes the Hei part. The only thing it uses inside is the pickup.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have an HEI and MSD 6AL on my Suburban. I would recommend the same setup. I noticed improvements in mileage and cold startup. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

when i upgraded to hei i already had the msd box hooked up and so i just went to their website and you can the schematics off of there.they also have a email on their site to help you do the hookup if you have problems the schematicx wont solve.