Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD Ignitiion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pr1aw, Feb 17, 2001.

1. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I put a MSD ignition on my 91 Blazer last month. A 6A, coil pack and superconductor wires. Gas milage stayed at 13 MPG but the extra performance was incredible. Thanks all who steered me away from Jacobs. I was going to complain about my milage untl I read stuff from a couple of pages back. I have the off-road and the heavy duty hauling package. 4.10 gears and stock 31X10.5. Two questions, 33's on a stock Blazer but with Bushwacker cutouts is my idea, but will it work. Seems that 14 bolt ff is liked alot, but what about a 14 bolt sf?

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

How much did the wires cost because mine met the exhaust manifold and want to replace them.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

3. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

Paid about $80 through AutoZone.

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I agree 100%. I just installed an MSD 6A Offroad, coil, Helicoil wires in mine and the performance gain is great. I actually did some testing w/ my Snap-on KV/Ign meter and found the actually spark getting to the coil is up big time. The blazer is much better on the freeway now. Worth the money I think and all together cost less then the Jacobs. Just wondering... what did you set your spark plug gap at?

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I put Bosh Platinium with a preset .060 gap but put them down to .053. I haven't played with the gap to see what works best yet. If memory serves me right the number for the Bosh was 4207 (old) with a preset of .035 and the 4209 (new) is the .060 preset.

6. CaptCrunch

I'm just running plain Jane AC Delco's... stock is supposed to be .035 so I gapped them .01 over to .045. Thinking about bumping it up a bit... Keep me informed and I'll do the same. Hopefully should be able to find the best gap since we have the same TBI 350... at least I assume w/ a 91

7. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

Hey fella's i got a question for you. I have a Blaster Coil, and bought some AC Delco's to go with it. I was told that the platinum tips couldn't handle the high voltage put out, do you guys know if that's true? Or if it makes any difference?

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Just had mine (platinums) out the other day and didn't see anything wrong with them. Opened them up to .055 and put them back in.

Smitty

9. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I've got about 1000 miles on the platinums and they are still working fine. Platinums will also give you more energy per spark than copper cores will. Earlier I stated that the new plugs were 4209 but they are 4208.

10. CaptCrunch

What i have been told by MSD is that they will work, but won't give an extra performance. All you are doing is throwing away some extra money because most aftermarket ignitions eat plugs a bit quicker then stock. I also asked about dist cap and rotor and AC delco's are fine. I'm not sure about the ignition module though... mine is still in, I've heard of guiys bypassing it or upgrading to a HP version.