Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

msd ignition and coil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazentank, Jul 25, 2001.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

what exactly do they do for you and what is the right ones to put on a 86 305 blazer i heard they will give you better gas milliage what else do they do. also how much does a high flow cat help with power is it worth the money. what do yall recommend for the cheapest ways to get more horsepower.

2. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

The msd and a high voltage coil will give more power and fuel economy, but you won't notice it. It'll also allow your ignition sys to handle high rpms. For the money it isn't worth the little horsepower, but it does help start better and there's nothing wrong with a beefed up ignition. As for the high flow cat save your money and wait until it goes bad, unless you're doing an entire exhaust with headers and mufflers, then it'll help out a little more (and don't just gut a cat either I'm no tree hugger, but I know we were only given one planet and 4-5 measly hp isn't worth the pollution, my philosophy is do it right or don't do it at all). As for more power for the buck. I'd go with a descent exhaust with headers and a cam. The cam is a little work, but it's usually easier than doing the exhaust simply b/c an 8 year old truck will probably snap a few manifold bolts in the process and that's a little pain in the A$$!! So go with a nice cam around $120 and a complete exhaust for around $300-400. And it'll feel like a totally different truck.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree. On a stock vehicle it's a waste of money. I'll also 2nd the good intake, exhaust with headers, and a cam. Let me tell you which cam...Comp Xtreme 4x4. It works, I'd highly recommend it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

I already have two chamber flows i was thinking about headers what do yall recommend