Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD ignition woke it up!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Land Yacht, May 1, 2006.

1. Land Yacht

Land Yacht Registered Member

I've been disapointed in my 94 Z71 350 cid TBI since I bought it. It just didn't have the grunt that I thought it should have.

I did a stock tune up, the ultimate TBI thing, CFM-TECH stuff and cut the bottom of the air cleaner box to match the power charger salad bowel, all with less than desireded results. These actions did help, just not how I anticipated they would.

So I decided to try one more thing before i would shoot/sell the truck. I called the "summit tech line" and talked to Tom, he has a 92 burb, he said "MSD".

Well, I purchase the MSD products 6A box, plug in wiring harness #8876 for easy coil connection, GM Dual Connector Coil #8226, and the Distributor cap with rotor button combo.
    Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm spark plug wires # 74228.
    AC-Delco Platinum/Iridium plug and gapped em @ 0.50.

Well the thing has never run better and the gas milage has increased also.

Just wanted to pass this info along and contribute to the board as I have been reading /learning for a while now.

HTH someone. JS

Last edited: May 1, 2006
  2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks for posting up! I'm sure it'll help some people.

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

doesnt that one have the built in rev limiter too?

I thought about buying that for my truck..... since I have a manual and a heavy foot I bounce the tach alot.... plus the msd would make a hotter spark thus better performance?????

4. Land Yacht

The 6A box dose not have the limiter, that is the 6AL box.

If I had the manual trans I would get the rev limiter box also.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to be an ass, but your results have a glaring problem in them, unless you left out some info. (stock tuneup is?)

You replaced almost everything in the ignition system that can affect performance, PLUS added the MSD stuff, and you saw great results.

Again, unless you left out some pertinent info, it doesn't prove the *MSD* did anything, but leaves a gaping hole that begs the question, which, if not all, of those components actually worked wonders, and what was problematic before? :(

If you wanted to prove it was the MSD, it should have been one component at a time, over a decent period (to measure mileage increases for each one) then a statement like "the MSD works wonders!" could have been used.

I'm only posting this because people that think their truck runs like crap don't need to run out and buy an MSD if they aren't certain the ignition is in tip-top shape off the bat.

Edit: :)

6. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

Ok well i run an mssd 6a on my struck STOCK ignition and WOW it helped with idle and imediate throttle responce. helped when flooring it up hill too...Trucks still a dog though need to get gears. 3.08 plus 33s = ****

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Running one on the third truck, all carborated engines, and it really is noticeable on idle, takeoff and pulling long grades! First upgrade when I get a truck, actually. :waytogo:

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ignition system upgrades rule. They are easy and the results are worth it. Makes an engine more eficiant. I think MSD and Crane are the best that are out there but all are pretty good

9. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

Price???????????????????

10. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

sounds like something i should do with my 92 truck!

11. Land Yacht

You got ?'s I got answers

Well to clearify...

12. Land Yacht

$$$

MSD-8226 Blaster coil $44.68
    MSD-8876 GM Dual connector harness $27.88
    MSD-6200 6A ignition control box $179.88
    MSD Dist. cap and rotor button combo, can't remember, but their RED
    Taylor Spiro-pro 8mm wires part # 74228 something like $44.--

HTH JS

13. Land Yacht

coil replacement

When you use the MSD blaster coil you have to use the brackets off the original coil.

I used my die grinder to remove the head of the pins stamped on by the coil manufacturer then a punch to push them out. You might be able to use a hand held electric grinder or a dremel tool to do this as well.

The pins are soft.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Fair enough. Your clarification/approach taken makes your experience definitely something people (myself included) can take stock in!

Where did you see the most mileage increase...after the box/gap or before? I know a lot of folks talk about improved idle after the MSD, but not many pay close enough attention to mileage to notice. Of course, mileage is subjective based on how each person drives, but that's pretty hard to quantify.

:)

15. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Good deal, have any pics of your RED stuff:D

16. Land Yacht

The box did the most

The mileage increase was most noticed after the box install and regap. However I don't keep a miles per gal account. I know I should so maybe this will give me the push I need to keep an account.

The blaster coil improved idle some but, the dramatic idle improvement was after the 6A ignition control box install and plug regap.

Before all this was installed while sitting at a stop with my foot on the break,I would expirence a slight stumble intermitenly. The coil helped a little but, the box has eliminated it.

The contol box was the single most improvement however, I wouldn't use the box without the blaster coil as I don't think the stock coil could handle the box. Just my O2 tho.

Sorry, no pics as I don't have a dig cam yet. I do need to change that tho so I can post up some pics and join you guys in the fun.
    JS

17. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

good thread and thanks for the info. the 6AL sounds like the way to go for me.

18. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am amazed it has done that much! I upgraded my HEI with a Pertronix coil and module. I have noticed responce gains and wasn't greatly impressed, but just ignition upgrades can't get you 50hp.

19. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

Your questions were valid, Though they " sounded " confrontational, Thats a prob. when were not face to face.
    I will add this; Dont run a MSD box for more h.p., I'ts not there, I have seen dyno testing to prove that. What there good for and why there on every vehicle I own ( carbed, old school ) is, faster starts, smoother idle, ( especially cold ) little better throttle response and maybe better mileage.
    It seems to me that the benifits are more noticeable with modified engines ( cam, headers, intake etc. etc.). Nothing I can Prove, nor do I care to. Just based on thirty some years of 'renchin, 'roddin and 'racein.
    And no add on gizmo is a substitute for good, even compression and quality ignition components. Not to mention all the other variables that go into a good running mill. Just my .02 cents.
    Cary

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Just curious, what is the spec. plug gap on that truck? Isn't that .050?