Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD Ignition

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dysphemism, Dec 6, 2001.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I want to get an MSD ignition and asked around. From what I've heard they go bad after a year or two and become total hassles to deal with. Is this true? I am leaning towards not getting one now but it's a shame considering how much power they produce. Does anyone have one, and if so have you experienced any problems?

Beefing up my truck broken part by broken part.
    1986 GMC Jimmy 9" lift, 38" swampers, and a sarcastic liscense plate holder.

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

My buddy has had one on his truck for about two years and has no problem yet, I have never heard of anyone having a problem with them

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have had my MSD ignition box in for about a year and have had no problems. My MSD coil has been in for 2 years and has had no problem. I have never heard of MSD products having problems. I love mine, and wouldn't trade it for anything. It is one of the best mods I have done to my truck yet. It's GREAT!

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I've run the same MSD coil,module and cap(s) for 3 years and no problems here. I've heard of problems with ACCEL products before on this forum but everyone who has MSD seems happy with it.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

5. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Okay cool I think I'll go ahead and pick one up. I've heard they make some massive power gains so I'm glad that they are also reliable. Nice

Beefing up my truck broken part by broken part.
    1986 GMC Jimmy 9" lift, 38" swampers, and a sarcastic liscense plate holder.

6. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Don't know where you heard that from, but I have one on an old beater '73 C20 454 pickup that has been there for over 10 years. Have also run them on 3 other vehicles with combined life of over 15 years. Never had one failure.[​IMG]

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have been running my 350 with MSD 8360 distributer,Blaster2 coil and 6A. The dist. and coil were put on back in 95 I added the 6A box about a year or so ago.
    I have had 0,none,nadda,nooothing at all what soever go wrong with my MSD stuff!! LOVE it and will be an MSD customer for life!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have had no problems with them. The 6al in my firebird has been in there for 3 years of dragracing and street driving. It was in another vehicle for a year before that.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you all like your stuff. Just remember if for some reason you ever do have problems with any of it just let me know and I'll be glad to help out my fellow CK5ers.

Philip
    MSD Tech

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't know where you're hearing about the "massive power gains", but dyno tests don't prove this theory unless you're building a drag motor that will crank 8,000 RPM. Dorian (dyeager) has a link to an article from one of the recent 4WD mags where they tested several different aftermarket ignitions. The dyno results showed that the difference between them was around 3 HP. Stock HEI ignitions work just fine up until 5,000-5,500 RPM. It's only above that point that you start to see the high performance ignitions really shine.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The dyno numbers don't show much power gain, but the driveability gains where enormous for me.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

13. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Never had a problem with mine, but if you dont have HEI get that first. then decide if you need MSD.
    if you can MOUNT IT INSIDE YOUR CAB. i can not stress that enough. behind the glove box is the best place. dont waste your cash on the offroad model. just get the 6AL. or the digital if you have the bills.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

14. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

i have a 6al. i have had it for 4 years. I loaned it to a friend while my truck is under reconstruction. it stopped working when he had it.I sent it back to msd(autotronics) and they fixed it. sent it back 33.00 c.o.d. and took 7 weeks from when I shipped it to them. Lookin foward to putting it back on truck! If you are lookin for a new one, they make just for 4x4's. they handle the bouncing better.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

SEVEN WEEKS?!?!?!? Yikes!!!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...