Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD Ignition

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Feb 17, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking of buying MSD 6AL, PN 6420 ignition... I found it used in great condition. However in looking it up on their (MSD) site I still am not sure on it and if it's right or will work for me... anyone have experience with this? Thanks! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A 6al box is great, just keep it in a dry place. It has the built in rev limiter which is a sweet feature. The next step up is the offroad box.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

its a great investment. one of the best bang for the buck for mods on a engine in my opinon. you will want to use quality wires and plugs, cap , etc. if there is a weak link in the set up the msd will find it. and one hard knock rule dont get bit by it cause it will hurt!LOL but you will notice improved mpg and performance from it.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

4. ChevyCaGal

Dry huh? Well I better figure out how to buy a plastic welder thing and make a case to cover it cuz I have a wonderful knack of getting parts wet when they are meant to be kept dry....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    "Grace is knowing when to be a lady and when to say "Ah, bite me, outta my way!"

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Does the off-road box have a rev limiter? If so, how high is it? The off-road box is the same as the 6A only sealed. Thats the one I have (in my garage [​IMG])

6. Hossbaby50

The offroad box does not have the built in rev limiter. It has a special port built into it to take the special offroad rev limiter. the rev limiter is another $75 or so i believe. I believe that the offroad box is the same as a 6A box only sealed and vibration proof with the special port of the special offroad rev limiter. The port is set up for the watertight connector on the Offroad rev limiter.

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

It should work fine for you steph... you can download directions off their website for the wiring, but it is reall straight foreward and easy. You may want to mount the msd box in the cab if you do lots of water crossings and such, although ideally as close to the battery as possible is recomended. Also keep it away from heat if you can. It is a great mod... you should be happy with it

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. high&liftedup

high&liftedup Registered Member

Steph, The MSD box is great for what your needs are. You can't go wrong. Just as the previous post, stay with MSD wires and if you need to later, Coil/Dist. If you have issues with hookup, call the customer service... they are very responsive......
    (ps: I like your web-site... pretty bold on the GOSPEL!!)

HE will always get you out of the mire clay!!!

9. ChevyCaGal

Thanks... it (my site) still has a long ways to go however....

I think I will get it and if I am not happy then sell it again... that is if I can find money since payroll messed up again!! Ahhhh but at least I get bucks when I get paid Mar 1st! [​IMG]

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Steph, I have the MSD Off-Road box.
    I don't think it really does much for HP, but it absolutely does wonders for driveability. Starts quicker, revs smoother, sounds happier.
    The instructions says NOT to mount it in the cab.
    The off-road box is identical to a 6A box, except it is waterproof and vibration-resistant. Also, it does NOT have a buil-in rev limiter. If you want that, you have to buy an extra rev control box (a little bitty thing) for about $70.
    -- Mike

See <font color=orange> Project Old Orange! </font color=orange><a target="_blank" href=http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/>CLICK</a>

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

anyone know WHY they put that in the manual? Perhaps a cover-our-legal-behinds manuever? just wondering, i was planning on saving myself some $$$ by just getting the 6A and mounting it in-cab.

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If I remember right, they say not to mount it in the cab because there is insufficient air flow for cooling. The box gets warm to the touch while running.
    I mounted by Off-Road box on the passenger's fenderwell. When I eventually ditch the bulky AC box, I want to mount it on the firewall where the AC box goes.
    -- Mike

See <font color=orange> Project Old Orange! </font color=orange><a target="_blank" href=http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/>CLICK</a>

13. Hossbaby50

My Offroad box is mounted on my firewall, and is pretty near my engine. Personally I would worry more about it on the firewall in the hot environment of the engine then the cab. Nascar mounts there boxes inside the cab, and the temps get alot hotter in there then they would in the cab of a truck. I personally wouldn't worry about the box being mounted incab.

Harley

P.S. Even in the AZ summers in my engine bay with my box near the motor at 210 degrees my box never gets hot enough to not touch. It hot to the touch but you can touch it without any real discomfort.

14. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Hossbaby50,
    Where on the firewall did you find room for the box? There's so little room to mount it. EVen mounting the coil was kind of tricky because the coil wire is so short.
    Take it easy.
    -- Mike

15. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Steph, can I tag along here and ask some ?'s about MSD ignition stuff? Ok, thanks. [​IMG]
    No seriously, I know jack about electrical ignition stuff.
    I know I have a cap and rotor and it has the crappy aluminum contacts and I have crap wires.
    So if I were to up grade to MSD ignition or whatever all this stuff is, what am I actually replacing here? Will I still have cap and rotor nad then just another aluminum finned elctrical box thats hooks to the cap and rotor or what? Can somebody fill me in here? Thanks.

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]

16. Hossbaby50

My box is mounted (as you look into the engine bay from the front) to the right of the A/c box, and up and left of the engine. It is mounted very close to my hood. When I am home for spring break I will try and get some pics of it, because I get asked this alot. A little canister thingy with a vaccum line going to it did have to be moved to mount the box there. It was just relocated down the firewall a little bit. It is a good spot to mount the box because it is near the distributor, and is close enough to the battery to connect without having to extend the battery lines.

17. Hossbaby50

Ok, here you go. MSD ignition as I understand it. The box is an amplifier of ignition spark. It basically doubles your stock HEI's output. It also sparks for a longer duration then normal. It will release more then 1 spark into the combustion chamber below 3000RPM, not to mention that the sparks are much more powerful. The more powerful spark allows you to open up the gap on your spark plugs which helps with better combustion.

I see it this way. If you have a crappy cap, rotor, coil, and wires, do those first. I did my ignition a little bit at a time, and every little bit helped. The box is were it is at, as far as performance, but if you have bad components between the box and the spark plugs you aren't going to get the full potential. Its kinda like having headers, and then only having 1/12" pipes on a 502. You are causing major restriction, and not getting full potential of the motor.

18. Hossbaby50

I had to go to class, so I didn't get to finish the avove post. The MSD coils are designed to put out more voltage then a stock coil, the caps &amp; rotors are heavy plastic with brass terminals, and the wires are very high quality, and low resistence. Basically MSD equipment is high quality, and is ment to get the most volts possible to the spark plug. This allows spark plug gaps up to .065. I run .057 with stock being .035 or .045. I don't remember.