Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

msd ignition

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schmuck, Jan 15, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i was wondering if any body has used a msd box or equivilent on a chevy motor. a while back i had a 68 olds cutlass convertable with a 350 rocket before i installed the box i got about 15mpg after i got about 30mpg so it was a nice improvement but ive heard that because of the design of the chevy combustion chamber that you will only gain about a 3% increase in fuel eficancy please tell me of any experiance with this my rig currently gets about 12mpg thanks /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

you went from 15 MPG to 30 mpg by installing a MSD box Ya right, What else did you do? Dude you should have bought lotto tickets cause thats hard to beleive. I have a 6a on my truck and it made starting easier and no difference in mileage. i know several others who also have this box and their mileage did not change

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Mine starts easier and idles better. Other than that, no bid difference.
    -- Mike

4. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

yeah it almost doubled the gas milage. i also know people with fords that had similar experiance thats why i wanted to know how well it will work with chevy heads. i guess it dosent

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I think you are going to have a hard time convincing people that by putting on an aftermarket ignition system you can make an old V8 from 68 get the same mileage as a new Toyota Camry. Sure you don't work for the marketing department in MSD? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I put a 6AL on a 77 K5 with a 350, and it idled smoother, had a bit more snap, and I realize about a 2-3 mpg gain (from 10-13 or so).

7. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

its all in the head design the olds heads are not the same as a chevy when i put the unit on i lost a few ponies but after a few trial and error runs with the timing light i found a nice equal between power loss and economy gain at the same time i i installed the box i also converted from points to a unilight and put in a hot coil plus changed from generic autozone wires to bluemax and a set of accel u grove plugs maybe it was the combo of every thing but i know for a fact it changed because at the time i worked for dominoes pizza and keeping track of miles and milage is part of what you do there. see dominoes only gave you .12 per mile and at the end of the day i would always take the money i got for mileage and put it right bak in the tank . before i put the bpx in i would always have less gas than what i started with after i would always have more. plus when i said that i know other people with same results with other engines than a chevy im not talking about just 1 or2 i know about 6, 3 of witch had olds cutlasses, i know that chevy , ford and olds all use wedge heads but like i said i heard it would not work the same on a chevy i guess you all have answered my question thanks and no i dont work for msd, jacobs, accel, holley or any other. iwas just wondering if anybody had a similar experiance i guess i am stuck with horrible milage on my 85 k5

8. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

gained about 3mpg maybe it is woth it i never plan on getting rid of the truck so maybe in the long run it could be worth a damnn

9. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

anybody else /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, I have MSD on my truck. I have the MSD 6 Offroad box, Blaster SS coil, HEI cap & rotor, and superconductor wires. I like them alot. I DID notice better gas mileage after I installed it. Maybe 1-2 MPG, not huge, but it helps. It also helps with starting, idling, passing power, etc.

11. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

yeah i guess the 3% that i heard about was right /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Hossbaby50

Ya, but when you are only getting between 8-11 MPG depending on where I was (intown, highway) 1-2 MPG is better then 3%. Beside the mileage was just a bonus, I really did the MSD for the power and startup help. My truck ran a hell of a lot better when I put the Box on as compared to prior. The pickup and passing power was what I noticed most and was what I was looking for anyway. The only thing that may have rivaled the MSD as best mod so far is the 350 for the 305, and the 4.56's for the 3.73's.

13. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

I have the 6a, Super Conductor Wires, and coil. I did a recent tune-up before I installed the MSD and got about 1-2 MPG. After the MSD, just smoother ideling, quicker starts and a buzzing in my stereo. I just turn up the stereo to get rid of the buzzing.

14. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

what is the differance between the off road one and the standard 6a or 6al(rev limiter)

15. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The off road one does not have a rev limiter, but is fully waterproofed.
    -- Mike

16. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

cool dose it cost alot more

17. Hossbaby50

$220 or so from Jegs or Summit. It think. Check them out at www.Jegs.com or www.SummitRacing.com

I haven't looked lately so they might have went up some. Or if you have a Checker, Shucks, or Kragen in your area they will meet Summit or Jegs price without the cost of shipping. Or at least the one in Phoenix did for me on my MSD wires.

18. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Mine cost $212.
    I just recently bought the add-on rev limiter for $69.

I wouldn't want to regular 6a box because of the fact that it is not waterproof. However, some guys run them without problem.
    -- Mike

19. Hossbaby50

I run mine for the simple fact that I will encounter water and lots for vibration on the trails. The 6 offroad is both water and vibproof so I bought if for the situation it was going to be in. I over paid for mine. I went to a local speed shop and paid like $275 for mine. I was thinking about getting that rev limiter, but think I am going for the adjutable timing control first.

20. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

check and see if they will work together first i had a mallory tach with a revlimiter in it so i bought a 6a and the rev limitter in the tach did not work any more