Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD ignition

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by loudandproud, Oct 26, 2000.

1. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Is there much of an improvement in gas mileage after installing a MSD 6A ignition and a new distributor??? What improvements has anyone seen?? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I dont check mileage so I cant help you there, but i feel a little in the butt dyno and it starts a hell of alot better now.

I am running a 6A and a Billet Dist.

HTH

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. loudandproud

How hard was it to install all of it, the ignition and distributor?

4. Emmettology 101

Not hard at all, mostly the hardest part was finding a place to mount it! I have also has the 6A box covered in water and mud with no problems!

The wiring and instructions are easy to follow.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Mike,
    Where did you end up mounting the ignition? Got any pics of the engine bay? Had one in my last vehicle, can't wait till I've got some cash to put one in the blazer. Lound & Pround, I had a MSD OffRoad Ignition in my last truck. Big difference in easy of start up and nocticable throttle responce. Hope this helps - Jay

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Which is better 6A or the Offroad box? Why? (88 K5 stock 350 if it matters). Thanks!

Dawson
    88 K5

7. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Dawson,
    I went with the Offroad ignition over the 6A. Mainly because the offroad was completely vibration and waterproof. Would have liked to went with the MSD 6AL with the soft touch rev limiter, but it wasn't waterproof. Not to say that one is better that the other, but the waterproof & vibration proof feature is what sold me. Hope this helps. - Jay

8. loudandproud

What does the soft touch rev limiter do?

9. Emmettology 101

I mounted mine against the passenger side fender. When the hood is closed, the hinge stops and almost rests on the box(it doesn't though) then I have my High Vibration coil mounted up on the firewall to the left of the engine.

Mike [​IMG]

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The rev limter is just that limits the RPM of your motor.
    In other words when you are Blazen thru that big mud hole and you start to Hammer it due to adrenilin and whatever else, you forget to watch your RPMs the limiter will keep you from over reving your motor.
    I too have the 6A and talked with MSD about it and the only diff is that the 6A has a sigle coat of sealent epoxy or whatever they use to cover the components. The off-road is completely submerged in this stuff. Both can handel water and mud but the off-road will litterlly run under water and the 6A may fail.......
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com