Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD Ignition

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Smitty, Nov 13, 2000.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Installed an MSD 6A on my 82 yesterday. I'm amazed at the difference in the way the engine starts and runs. It cranks up a lot easier, even on the cold mornings.

Has anyone else installed one of these and if so, did you expand the plug gap after the installation?

Smitty

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have the complete MSD set-up. I haven't increased the gap, but I was thinking about doing so. I was thinking of going up to .55 or .055 what ever the hell that is.

Where you thinking of going for a larger gap? IF so what size where you thinking of going up to?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

I'm planning on getting one too within a week, but I was wondering if the Offroad box is better all around or is it just more of a waterproof/vibration resistant version of the 6A. Have you heard anything on the difference. Where did you get yours and how much? Also was mounting it a problem and where did you end up mounting it?

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am running MSD8360 dist with 6Abox and BlasterII coil. My gap is set to 45 and timming is 8!
    I love it!!
    OFF-Road version will run UNDER water the 6A may for a minute or two but not for ever! From what I remember that is the only diff, oh ya it also comes with the rubber mounts like the 6T does, but that is it.
    I would email MSD to find out for sure, they are very helpful!! Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The paperwork that came with the box says to start opening the gap .005 at a time and to keep an eye on plug condition. I've got them set at .045 (my factory setting) right now but will start opening the gap. Picked mine up from Summit for $132. It was at my door 2 days after I ordered it. The installation was straight forward and I ended up putting the box on the firewall. The whole thing only took about 45 minutes to put in once I figured out that the system eliminated the factory ignition control module (instructions are a wonderful thing).

I really bought the thing for my Ford but was messing with the Blazer and it just ended up under the hood. Figured I'd try it out to see if I'd want to invest the extra money in the off-road version. Guess I'll make another order in a couple of weeks then I'll put this one on the Ford since it doesn't get off the hard stuff.

Smitty

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

I just got the Offroad box, distribitor, coil and 8.5 msd wires...i havent installed it all yet...my motor hasent showed up so i am kinda stuck...but ill let ya know how it comes out

"whoo my new pic is on the photo page...check it out!!"

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It eliminates the ignition module? That means you have to open up the distibutor and start taking stuff out? Sounds scary.
    -- Mike

8. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Piece of cake, the MSD comes with the wires that plug into where the ignition module used to be, and it has the nylon (plastic, whatever) hold-downs to keep the wires from hitting the bottom of the rotor. Steve</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I used to have one but it shorted out and got fried. I am thinking about gettign another one but was wondering how straightforwrd the wiring is? I really hate wiring things. I bought my truck with the last one, so I don't know how hard it is.

90K5

10. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The wiring is simple. If you go to www.msdignition.com you can check out their schematics. I've been told that their tech reps are super helpful if you run into a snag.

Smitty

11. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Is there a big difference between GM HEI and aftermarket MSD? I was under the immpression that the GM HEI was already pretty darn good.

12. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I think the GM HEI is one of the best factory ignition systems made. The MSD unit just makes it better.

Smitty

13. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

the GM ignition is great, it just loses some oopmf in the upper rpm range. the MSD solves that, adds better throttle response, mileage and starting.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have had my 6A under water, covered in water-mud-etc... It keeps on ticking!!!!!!!!!

:)

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com