Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD IGNITION

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENNY, Jan 27, 2001.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

HELLO EVERYONE, I HAVE AN 84 4SPD WITH A 305. HAVE HAD IT FOR ABOUT 4MOS. TRUCK IS STOCK. I HAVE CHANGED THE TIE RODS,STEERING SHOCK,CLUTCH,AND ALL FLUIDS. MY QUESTION IS WHERE CAN I PUT AN MSD IGNITION AND SHOULD I SWITCH TO A BILLET DISTRIBUTOR THAT THEY OFFER?

2. redbeast

redbeast Registered Member

HI Kenny:
    In responce to your question , I have a MSD6A ign system on my 85 with a 305. I placed mine on the firewall next to the heater box jus below the hood line for clearance. stays dry and away from heat. AS far as the fancy dist thats a matter of prefrance (sp?) I used the stock dist. the only componet left in the dist is the pick up coil..I also retaned the OE cap with the stock coil left in place..The stock coil is good to about 4500 rpm it also perduces plenty of fire up to that piont. Any thing after that you would do better with the high output coil.. Hopes that helps.. RG...

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I've got mine set-up the same as the system in Redbeast's truck. Don't really se a need the the high $$$$ distributer in my situation since I don't tend to run the rpms that high.

Smitty

4. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

WHAT CHANGES IF ANY SHOULD I MAKE TO MY DISTRIBUTOR TOSET IT UP FOR THE MSD IGNITION

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

You really don't need to do anything special to set it up. Everything comes in the kit (PN 6200 for the 6A). There is a harness that replaces the ignition module. It's a real simple installation. I'd make sure you have a good cap, rotor and plug wires to get everything out of the system. If you go to www.msdignition.com you can check out the installation procedures.

Smitty