Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD Ignition's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Don, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

MSD Ignition\'s

Who run's MSD ignition's?

Like's?
    and
    Dislike's?

Thank's in advance!

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Re: MSD Ignition\'s

Me! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

MSD 6AL

Like it alot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

I've run the MSD system for about 7 years. Works great, no complaints. Will definitely put another one on any vehicle that I own.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I've had a 6AL, Blaster2 coil and billet distributor on my mud truck for about 9 years now, mine has been very dependable and user friendly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

MSD 6 offroad box
    MSD Blaster SS coil
    MSD Super Conductor wires
    MSD HEI dust cover
    MSD Cap & rotor

I like all there products. I did have a 6 offroad box go bad, and also an HEI coil, but they were replaced. My best buddy has a used MSD 6 box in his 66 Chevy and likes it alot.

I have had mine for 3 years and my buddy has had his for 2.

I like the better mileage, better power, better starting (especially when cold), etc.

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Do they really help as their ad's say they do?

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

yes

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of cost are we looking at to do what you did, and how's the install? The ignition isn't one of the places I've messed with...yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

They go for about $150.00 at summit racing.

10. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

I have an MSD 6AL mounted behind the glovebox... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

MSD 6AL mounted on the inner fender on the right side. I payed $171 for it from Autozone with my discount and it saved my engine from certain destruction this weekend. Do I like it? Sure, but that's definitely an understatement.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Do they really help as their ad's say they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

If somebody can cite some specific tests that prove any of their claims, I might believe them.

Rev-limiter isn't a bad feature, but that's the only reason I could see having one. Got a link on my webpage to an article on aftermarket ignitions, as I recall, the ones that they tested to replace the used one, performed no better.

I know people claim they like them, and saw better this and that, and I'm not saying they didn't, but typically plugs/wires are changed at the same time, and surprise, that makes a difference.

For the cost, headers or a cam would make more difference. Stock HEI has proven to work well beyond 4500RPM, so any claims about upper end aren't very valid. And even if they helped out low end, where are the tests to prove it?

I figured I'd through that out as a "con" to all the "pro" statements, although I realize you didn't ask for anyone not running one. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never said that it adds power, just that the rev limiter saved my engine.

14. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    I never said that it adds power, just that the rev limiter saved my engine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I cite your post specifically?

15. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

ive had mine for 3 years and have had no problems.i tried running with out it to see how it ran and there was a major difference.it just runs much cleaner with the msd.iwhen i took the msd off i had a miss and i wouldnt get as much power in the lower rpms.hooked it back up and vualla no miss and good power from takoff to xx000 rpm.ive only had it to 6 but im sure it could go much higher and still run clean.

16. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

As for performance gains, it really depends on what kind of hp you are already putting out. For instance MSD on a stock motor will give a little bit better performance because it sends more spark. But it works really good when the engine needs it like after a cam and head swap etc. Also the 6 series boxes send out multiple sparks under 3,000 rpms. to help burn all the fuel. It made a night and day difference in my Firebird(500 hp) and on my 78 k20(375 hp). You also really need it when adding on a seupercharger on nitrous. As for HEI working above 4500 rpms , not without modifications. MSD does make a 4 pin module to allow the HEI to go to 9,000 rpms if that is what you are after. Anyways, anytime you give a hotter more powerful spark, you get my power wheather 2hp or 20 hp its still a power gain.

Dan

17. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Mine is a mildly built 454, header's, cam, intake, around 9.2 compression, with an HEI stock distributor now, I'm contemplating buying an MSD and just wanted to know how it would work in a haul/pull type situation. I haul sled's on a sledeck, and sometime's pull a two place trailer with it.

So it sound's like it would be a "worthy" investment by the above post's. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Did I cite your post specifically?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I was simply stating that I'm not one of those people that thinks it will give you more power. Compressed fuel/air mixture is gonna burn no matter how many sparks you put to it, so I feel that the actual MSD ignition part is a scam in my case with a fairly stock motor, but that the rev limiter is worth every penny.

19. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    But it works really good when the engine needs it like after a cam and head swap etc. Also the 6 series boxes send out multiple sparks under 3,000 rpms. to help burn all the fuel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok here's a question. In an efficient setup (chamber), with thorough combustion, how do you gain power by igniting leftover fuel when the piston has already reached or passed TDC? I'm not attempting to step on anyones toes here, I'd like to know how, if at all, this can help with power. Since the spark is emanating from the same point, and flame propagation spreads from there, even with cylinder turbulence, how or why do you need further ignition? Dual plugs ignited at the same time, in different locations makes sense, two sparks from the same source at different times doesn't.

In any case, if it made a difference, the 3000RPM multiple spark claim would show up in dyno tests. More complete burn might be a valid claim, but if its not giving you HP, and you don't NEED it to pass emissions, the point is?

[ QUOTE ]
    As for HEI working above 4500 rpms , not without modifications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better tell a few people I know that run 6500RPM all the time with it. That's a myth. I know you aren't saying the engine shuts off once it reaches the magical 4500RPM HEI limit. You may lose some power to the plug, but you won't lose the spark. Better coil can help with this. That IS a modification in my book, but it doesn't require a seperate component to be added.

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyways, anytime you give a hotter more powerful spark, you get my power wheather 2hp or 20 hp its still a power gain.

[/ QUOTE ]

So will a hotter match cause a fire to burn any faster when the "flame" travels the same distance, starts in the same location every time, and is igniting the same material that burns readily with a "weaker" (only 30,000 volts) flame? A 2 HP gain for adding another electrical component that can fail, for the same cost as a set of cheaper headers which are guaranteed to give you more power, seems like an ass-backwards way to go about things IMO, especially when striving for utter reliability.

Again, no one should take this as a personal attack. I just haven't seen anything concrete that proves the multiple spark theory. How about idle emissions test results before/after, with no plug or wire changes?

I haven't seen MSD do anything but make claims that either aren't substantiated, or present "studies" that aren't scientific enough for me to believe.

20. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Here is a good Chevy High Performance article that sheds some light on the subject. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif