Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD Interference

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by btolenti, Jan 5, 2004.

1. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I've been having an ignition problem lately. I installed an MSD Super HEI Kit, and lately have had my computer throw a code 42 at random. Anyone think this might be some interference from the MSD ignition causing a problem with the ESC???? I am wondering if I should go ahead and ditch the MSD stuff and go out and buy a stock HEI cap/coil and run with that instead.

Anyone else have interference problems like this with their MSD modules?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I haven't heard anyone complain about MSD stuff causing interference, and quite a few people use the components you have with "stock" HEI setups.

Of course there are no absolutes, it could be, don't know what you'd do to test your theory that its the problem short of swapping the components out with known good ones.

3. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I guess it would be good to have as backup anyway. I just hate to have to ditch a $200 ignition.... I have heard the low resistance HEI bushing can cause interference, and my 86 California-emissions K-5 has an ECM (computer controlled timing and carb), and figure this may be the problem... Darn code 42.

What does everyone think of the standard ignition stuff that Napa sells? Good? Bad? Should I opt for Accel cap/coil/cover?

4. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

Well, it looks like the MSD was the problem. I put in a stock coil/cap/etc, and the truck runs great. The silky smooth idle is gone, but so is the Code 42. Startup seems to take a bit more cranking too. The MSD must have interfered with all those great computer functions on a California emmissions K-5!

I tried the MSD on my HEI unit on my 54 Ford, and it worked great. Too bad that distributor is already a Performance Distributors DUI. Looks like I will just have to sell the MSD kit......oh well, at least my problem is gone.