Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD is baaaaaaaad

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Nov 2, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Bad to the bone. I just got done installing new plugs, MSD wires, MSD coil, 6A, and Accel cap and rotor. The truck starts so fast now its scary. The starter barely does anything and the motor is already running. And I only drove it for a couple miles tonight, but it definitely feels quicker...should've got rid of all the generic ignition stuff a long time ago!

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

kewl

SWAMPERS RULE!!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

3. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I was gonna have to smack you, and tell you screwed something up, cause MSD kicks butt. Buuuuuut, you meant the good kinda bad, haha. How long did it take you to do the swap? All I've have now is the super conductor wires and I think they rock. Are you still using your old HEI distributor and just have the box hooked up to it?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yep...its the good bad. lol
    I spent the better part of the afternoon working on it. I had to fix some other stuff too. Its just more fun to take it slow and have fun with it...put all the wires in loom and stuff.
    Yea the HEI distributor is a rebuilt one that I got a few years ago. Its still in really good shape so I figure until I need ultra high RPM capability, the OEM distributor will be fine with all the MSD stuff.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

yes sir that there MSD stuff is some good $hit. i got mine 3-4 years ago but i was running 3.08's so really didnt notice the diff. but now with 4.10's its a whole diff. story i disconected it a while back cuz it was burning out my stock coil and hook it back up factory and boy what a diff. i never would have known i was running so rich. any way installed an Accel Coil and prob. solved never had a prob. with it since. Congrates on a purchase well done [​IMG]

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

6. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Yea man...its the little things that make the difference. Stuff like a carb spacer, K&amp;N air filter, etc.
    The next 2 things on my list are headers and getting some electric fans so I can ditch the clutch fan.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

7. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I run the MSD Box and coil with the MSD Pro Billet Dist. the Dist. is the Small cap that plugs straight to the MSD box. I paid 195+tax. I now have the Holley Commander Fuel injection and I need the big cap late model dist. to advance and retard the timing. If you guys want to get the Probillet Dist let me know! I would like to switch it out. Its probably 4 months old but definately less than 6 months old. I have the box and everything. It works great but I need the other dist to get the full potential from my fuel injection. And yes MSD is great stuff!

79 Blazer 6"lift 38 SX's locked/4:56 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.keith.rockcrawler.com>www.keith.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I saw the subject, and I thought that I was going to have to start chewing some a$$. Thankfully it was the good kinda bad. I got the MSD 6 Offroad box, coil, and super conductor wires. They rock. I was surprised at how much they helped out my 350. It was like driving a whole new truck.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

9. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Just wondering... how much does the MSD package usually go for? In the past, I wanted to swap over to a fuel injection system on my 350, until I saw the price tag. The wife wants a quick reliable start-up, but not at half of my rig's original cost. I just had choke problems that now has her ready to slap a 'Forsale' sign on the beast. A reliable vehicle in -40 degree weather is a must up here. Maybe this option could save my rig's fate? Is there really a big difference?

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy w/ '94 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew
    http://community.webshots.com/user/beefcake83

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Good deal, Wait til you try <font color=red>NITROUS!!!!!!</font color=red> Talk about put some pep in your step!!!!

John

Like to go sloppin' 'round in da mud in a rapid fashion....=) [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/chevyracing>http://community.webshots.com/user/chevyracing</a>

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The setup I run cost me about $400. That is an MSD 6 Offroad box, MSD HEI coil, and MSD super conductor wires. It cost me another $100 to get the box installed by a mechanic friend of mine. The coil is easy and the wires are a no brainer. You can get the setup cheaper if you use the MSD 6, or 6A box. The Offroad box is more expensive. All the MSD 6 series boxes operate the same, but the Offroad box is totally waterproof and vibration proof, with water tight connectors. The 6A box has a built in rev limiter. You can get the exact prices at Jegs or Summit racing online.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

12. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

130 for the 6A box, 65 for the coil, 60 for the wires and 22 or so for the cap and rotor. Not too bad if you ask me.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

13. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

This is the one I runwww.keith.rockcrawler.com