Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD,Jacobs........????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Sep 28, 2000.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Anyone have any opinions about these ignition systems??...do they help with power and gas mpg??? Looking at installing one on my Blaz. wanna know how hard they are to install etc...
    Thanks!!!!

2. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

i dont have msd in mine but i heard that thet make ur gas better and the give u more power ........

3. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I would stick with the MSD I have heard a lot of bad things about Jacobs from people who have bought them. They burn up in a few months.

4. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

MSD all the way baby ! It helps your gas milage and gives a little extra power. They stand by their product if anything goes wrong. It's one of the best mods that I've done to my Blazer.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yes stick with MSD. I have a complete set-up on mine and I had two friends that bought Jacobs and switched to MSD.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

MSD-6a or MSD-6t work good. jacobs? have not heard a lotta good things about them.

7. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

I know there are several different "models" (MSD)and applications...Anyone know of a fairly cost effective system that will work well for a 350?...I know some of these can get pricey(sp?) Will I have to buy all new plugs & plug wires??? what about distributors??

8. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

MSD ignition systems offer a variety of boxes and coils that you could ponder over for a long time. most guy's get a good street app. that is the MSD6AL !!! this is a good base box for anyone wanting to start out.from here if you want to get picky about your power and such you really have to start upgrading the motor. If you want cheap, then MSD sells a replacement coil for the HEI dist. that is in your ride now. these work good but you should rebuild the dist. to get as much out of it as you can. I,m sure that if it's original then it,s probably well broken in by now!!! i hope this helps you out.

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had an MSD in mine but my ignition coil shorted out and fried my whole ingnition system, including my MSD box. I have a factory one in it again and will probably be going back to MSD pretty soon. Just make sure that if you get it, get the MSD coil too. They are like $30 and it wouldn't have happened if I had one of them.

90K5

10. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>You should be able to buy the MSD6A, or MSD6AL (I think the only difference between these two is the 6AL, has a rev limiter), and hook it up to your existing distributor, without any further mods. Then you can upgrade from there. Here's the link from the last post about this. - Steve :)</font color=blue>
    http://www.coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=50249&page=6&view=collapsed&sb=5

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html