Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD module or box.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering about all of your opnions on the MSD HEI module as opossed to the 6 series boxes. Obviously the box has a higher peformance potential but the module looks good too. Its nice and protected under the cap with no extra wires or splices. I also like the idea in that the event of an unlikely failure, another drop in module will get things going again. I already have the MSD coil. The $70 price tag also is a little more friendly. The module is supposed to drive the coil 50% more and increase the RPM range for firing.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

When you install an MSD ignition box, you bypass the module. I say spend the cash and get a box. It is worth it. Stock modules start to loose power around 4500RPM, and the MSD module is to replace this so it fires to a higher RPM with full spark. If when the box goes in the module comes out, so you don't have to worry about loosing spark energy at high RPM. Just get yourself the box, and wires, and you will be good to go. This is what I have, and it works very well. I would recommend getting the box and a good set of wires, and skipping the module.

3. Blazer_Boy

My uncle gave me an old beat up 6A and I tried it out. I downloaded the installation diagram from MSD to wire it. Hooked it up and the throttle was doggy and had a miss/stumble. I wasn't up to a drive just yet. Closed the hood and tried it again, smoke start pouring out from under the hood. It had some kinda wierd silent backfire because the smoke was from the aircleaner and the top of the secondaries had a little fuel on them. Not to mention every vac line blew off except the vav advance (ported). Bad box, lol. I'm not one bit turned off by MSD, but is the box really worth it? I spent a butt load of time wiring things up. I had alot more wire clutter and I was as tidy as I could be.

Is the box really worth all the hassle? I have the MSD coil and now wires. The motor is only 330hp with 20+" of vac at idle. Would I even notice an improvement with the MSD HEI module. I have the 990 delco one now.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

get a digital version not an outdated MSD6
    technology has come a long way since that old girl came out

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I used to have a MSD 6 box on my 89 K5. Out of curiousity I took it out and put it in my boat. Where It worked very well (points Ignition) .So I left it there.
    In my K5 I then put a Module from:Performancedistributors.com
    I noticed little or no diference in performance between the 130 dollar MSD box and the $50 Dyna Mod I also have the MSD blaster coil. I like the Dyna module better because I like to keep things simple.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I don't think you'll notice a difference in performance, because when in the hell are you past 4500 RPM?? People that I've talked to who have them on cars that regularly see 5000+, said that it helps with starting and gives a smoother idle as well as more power in higher RPM's. I want one just because of the smoother idle and easier starts.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

HEI with a module will provide all the spark needed for an off road engine.
    The benefit from the box is simple - multiple sparks at low rpm equals somewhat smoother idle and easier starting.
    Is it worth the extra money? I have to admit that the money could be more efficently spent on something else.
    But I got mine and really like it.
    As far as wiring goes - yes it adds wires. I hate extra wires. But if you really hate wires, go diesel and throw out your spark plug wires.
    What I'm trying to say is the wiring is straightforward and not a nuisance. I mounted my box on the passenger side fenderwell and the wiring is pretty neat.
    - Mike

8. Blazer_Boy

I built the motor to turn in the neighborhood of 6,500. It'll run out of pep 1,000 below that though. The truck I'm working on now is a 2wd GMC shortbox w/ SM465. Its kinda my little street machine, lol. I take it past 4,000 ever now and then. The starts are kind of funny in the truck because if its real warm out and you go to turn it over, you won't hear the engine turn becaue its all ready fired up after barely touching the ignition, thats fast! I just want to make sure I've got the best in there. I supposed if I get the box, I should get a seperate coil, etc. I think I'll just go module and have some fun.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My friend runs his circle track car at 6500RPM in the straightaways, aftermarket coil, (1st in trophy dash, 3rd in points this season) and my *other* friend (only have two of them) runs his 12 second 1/4 mile car with a bone stock HEI setup. I run stock HEI in my truck, get 18MPG freeway, and a .050 gap on it.

The box is nothing but another component to fail. Yes I can see one when you want a rev limiter or you are turning the engine super high RPM's, with a lot of compression, but its obviously not *necessary* even in those situations. Come see my truck startup after sitting overnight and tell me if you think it or idle could be improved. The ignition system on these trucks are not what holds them back. You of all people know that better (technology) heads are one huge step in the right direction, along with other stuff like injection, better induction, better exhaust, etc.

Sorry Hossbaby50, couldn't leave this one alone : )

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=blazer4x4&Number=421806&Forum=blazer4x4&Words=hossbaby50&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=3months&Main=421780&Search=true#Post421806

10. Blazer_Boy

I can't complain about mine one bit. It will start on the first try with one pump to set the choke. I just changed my wires over to the super conductors and I could tell a big difference. I can burn the tires even while I'm moving (like 5-10 mph). The idle has a little more "lump" tone to it, yet feels smoother. I did so much crap to it that day (A/C, interior, etc) that I forgot all about the wires until I drove it and was trying to figure out why it had more "punch". If less is more, and more is better, than too much must be perfect.

Got my snap-on digital tach/advance timing light off e-bay the other week and the ignition has never been the same. The crappy aftermarket weights were screwing up the timing when cranking and only providing 16 degrees of advance at 3,500+ rpm with the light springs. Switching back to stock weights, one of those stock super heavy springs, and the aftermarket heavy spring made a curve that starts off idle and smoothly advances 20 degrees by 3,000 rpm. I thought 16 initial was a bit excessive, but it likes it better than 12 or 14 and starts great /forums/images/icons/cool.gif .

11. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color="blue"> I just got back 5 mins. ago from putting an MSD 6A ignition and Blaster 2 coil on my 65 Impala SS and what a world of difference ! It went from barely starting to cracking right off without touching the gas pedal ! I love it !! </font color>

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, changing from old components to an MSD box is certainly going to appear to make the thing run better. As you can tell, most people think that changing everything (plugs, wires, adding a box) and seeing an improvement means the box works. That is obviously not the case, and can't be claimed to be so.

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have been using MSD boxes for years! over 15 anyways. I love them. I have a 6al in my truck now with a 5200 rpm rev chip. I have had this box for 8 years now. had to send it out once for repairs. it has been in 2 cars and 3 trucks so far. I have heard people say they break alot, but I have had no major problems with mine. If it ever really goes bad, I will update with a digital version. with a gm i always carry an extra ignition module. with the MSD box, if it goes bad, you can drop a module back in and keep running.