Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

msd off road box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Oct 22, 2001.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 and i was looking into either the msd 6al box which has the built in rev limiter or the offfroad box, has anyone used either one on the blazers before, and which box do you think would work better for the truck.

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple>The MSD 6A should work just fine for your Blazer ! Great unit and much improvement !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

3. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

the MSD is just the 6A box w/ rubber grommets to prevent it from being really jolted, the 6AL has a rev limiter, but how often do you really take it to the limit (if you race or do mud bogs this would be great) I know what my limit is, and I very rarley even come close to it, so me personally would get the 6A box and cut up a tire tube, amke a hole for the screw and bolt it up.

Sun Desert Offroad <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run a standard 6A MSD box.
    I was also tring to figure out if the OffRoad version was worth the extra 100 bucks!
    So I emailed MSD and asked what the diff of the 6A &amp; offRoad.
    They are the same except for the weatherizing. The Off road is completly submerged in that apoxy stuff were the 6A has been coated with it. Aperintly the ORoad will run under water were the 6a will also run underwater but will fail in a short amount of time.
    So I chose the 6a and put it high in the engin bay and spent the extra100bucks on something else.......

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

just go with the 6A...i had the off road box in my 88 and i was pressure washing off the motor and i got the box a little wet and it killed it...i did not spray directly at it either...i was at least a good foot or 2 from hittin the damn thing... i reutred it and got another one but have not installed it yet...

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Donations accepted for the "Build Chaz's 1972 K5 fund"!!!</font color=blue> [​IMG]

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Use the 6al box in the Firebird. They hold up to alot of abuse. The rev limiter is an awsome feature. I have bounced off of it quite a few times. You never know when you will hit high rpms jumping, muddin, rockcrawling etc. I would say worth the extra money. BTW it saves motors when you break an axle or driveshaft and the rpms shoot way up

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have the 6 Offroad box. I love it. You should be okay with any of the MSD 6 boxes though. My truck is an offroad vehicle so I figured that I might as well get the box designed for what I do. The only difference between the 6A box and the Offraod box is the offroad box is waterproof, vibration proof, and has water tight connectors. Its kind of like buying an offroad tire with no offroad warranty to me. If you puncture it without the warranty you have to by a new on. The waterproofing is my warranty that I will never have to buy a new one.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.