Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD on a 454- Big wake up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Speed-demon, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Speed-demon

Speed-demon Registered Member

I have a 454 with closed chamberd heads and I was thinking of throwing a MSD ignition on it to see if it wakes it up and makes it burn a little cleaner to. I don't know what kind of differnce it would make, does anyone know?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I put an MSD Offroad 6 Box on my 350 and it woke up big time. I love that thing. Throttle response was dramatically increased. I also got the MSD coil and wires too. It felt like driving a whole new truck. The MSD lets you open up the gap on your spark plugs and it gives multiple sparks below 3000 RPM to give a much better burn. I am running .057 gap on my Jimmy, and stock is supposed to be .035. The MSD was the single best improvement to my truck yet, except for the 350 (had a 305). I think the stock ignition puts out 30,000 volt, my MSD put out 100,000 or so.

3. Hossbaby50

P.S. Gas mileage went up to. My MSD will pay for itself in gas savings. It probably already has. Being that you have a 454 this should be a big factor.

4. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i run the msd 8361 distrib. and the 6T box and the blaster 3 coilwith taylor wires and rapidfire plugs. i have tried all the big name companys and wont use anything but MSD. over your stock ignition you will notice a big improvement!! it well worth the money and maybe the best improvement you can make on a motor.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

The most recent Peterson's 4 Wheel and Offroad (Oct 2001) did a shootout on aftermarket ignitions. I was surprised that there was no real improvement (horsepower-wise) from any of them over stock setup!

If you are looking for a "BIGGER" horsepower number it doesn't seem like an aftermarket ignition will do that for you....but I have a feeling that the "smoothness and driveability" can be improved with one of these ignitions. Seems like it's one of those things that doesn't really look very impressive on paper, but in real life application it actually provides a nice improvement in responsiveness.

The article did not address the fuel mileage issue, and that could be a BIG issue for guys like me with thirsty big block motors! I am currently averaging around 7MPG......and with gas at close to $2.00 a gallon, it wouldn't take long for one of these devices to pay for itself... [​IMG]

Anyone have any "real world" experience on the fuel mileage question?

-Greg72

6. Hossbaby50

The driveability and throttle response is the big difference. You may not actually pick up horsepower, but it damn sure feels like you picked up a lot.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Ther MSD will help as the other posts said. It really helps in throttle response. It really helps to build torque faster at lower RPMs. I bought one for my K5 with a 350 and there was a nice improvement in the way it ran.
    So i got curious and took it out of my blazer and put it in my boat just to see wat it would do. It really helped get my boat out of the hole and up on plane a lot faster.And pulled skiers better. I also gained a little on the top end.I guess I'll keep that one in the boat and buy another one for my K5.
    So all and all I think the MSD 6 boxes are defenatly worth the money. To get the best performance out of them you may have to experiment with the plug gap. mine seems to work best between 45-50 thousands but I live at 5000 feet elevation. I think you can gap it a little wider if you live at sea level.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>