Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD pro billet distributor...Opinions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shawnboy, Dec 23, 2005.

1. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Anybody running or has run the MSD distributor in their tbi rigs? Wouldn't mind your opinions. I'm running the stock set up on a 350 crate engine and I think an upgrade is due.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Dont waste your money. MSD Dist is no better than stock TBI unit. Unless yours is worn out dont replace it. If you want an ignition upgrade an aftermarket Coil and some good wires, cap,& rotor is all you need. Personally I am not a big fan of MSD.
    These:http://www.performancedistributors.com/gmcomputerdist.htm are better IMHO and cost less. Also their dist modules, coils and wires are very good.

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

i use MSD in all my toys and they always perform great.. if you have a bone stock engine then a factory replacement will serve you well. but if you are going to add performance mods to it then ungrade to MSD. a MSD ignition box(6,6A,6T) added to your HEI unit now would be a better investment in my opinion.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I used to have a Mallory in my '73 before it was disassembled. Never had a problem with it. But I never had any troubles with the HEI setup either. Always worked great for me.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I don't have TBI, but I am running an MSD Pro Billet distributor.

I needed a new distributor, so I went with the MSD unit. Primarily because I like the smaller cap.

Haven't had any issues with it. I don't think it is any better than the HEI, though. I know when I priced an HEI distributor through Carquest, it was about the same price as the MSD.

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I agree. I used an MSD setup in a drag car many years ago, and it didn't do any better than a stock HEI. It may be more reliable at higher rpms, but my experience doesn't show that its worth the extra $$$.

Its just under hood bling!

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Like mrk5 I bought one when I needed a new distributor. IMPO there was a difference but not enough to justify the cost. If they'd frop the price it would be worth it to just go out and buy one, but I wouldn't recommend it. Save a few hundred dollars for a disc brake swap or a frame brace.

8. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I use one and also msd boxes as well, I think they make a great product... but, like thunder says, as far as the dist. goes unless yours is broken leave it alone, Gm makes a good dist.

9. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

I needed a frame brace last week so this week I'll get a new distributor. The stock one has been in 3 engines and has 400,000 k's on it. That and the module is acting up and rather than swap out modules I thought I'd treat the LT1 to a new dist. Next on the list is high steer. Thanks for all the input on the original thread, lads.