Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD (revisited)

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by dubl_t, Jul 27, 2002.

1. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Ok, I've read all the ancient posts regarding MSD and Jacobs ignitions. Basically they all say that Jacobs is junk, and that MSD is ok, but not the great magical performance piece that the ads make it out to be. I've read the ignition book that the Jacobs guy wrote and am wondering why his stuff would be "junk". Now I'm looking for the real truth (which is why I've posted this here, LOL). What's the real skinny on magical ignition boxes. Am I gonna see any mileage improvemnts? The guy at Camping World says the RVer's swear by the Jacobs stuff. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated, considering the $$$ these things cost!

2. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

I have the complete MSD system w/ the 6A box.

I have the type of gas mileage you don't wan to pay attention to, but I did notice a racier sound coming from the engine and my plugs look great every time I pull them.

Any changes in performance will be subtle, but what I like the most is the simplicity of the 2 wire system.

3. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Thanks Dj, but if you knew then what you know now, whould yuo still buy the 6a?

4. Djroffroad

Djroffroad 1/2 ton status

Actually I wanted the offroad version, but I would have had to wait, and it was needed immediately. I have no complaints at all about the 6A though.

5. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i just boyught mine today fgrom Leaonards off road, and ordered the New Coil for inside the distributor, he said i dont need the off road box, Just mount it inside the truck arounjd you rfeet some where hidden behind the dash, and make sure to mount it on something solid, something that doesnt rattle or shake and it shuold be fine, Ill let you know my take on it on saturday when my Coil shows up and i put it all together, btw im running an 850 edelbrock q-jet, so im trying to burn more of the fuel that that pig is puttin in my motor.........

6. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

Yea Silver, let me know asap /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Btw, I switched to Bocsh platinum plugs(low dollar) and I could tell the difference. The book by Jacobs says that probably means my ign. is weak. There's your topic, discuss it amongst yourselves /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i havent decided whast plugs to get yet,. but alls i know is 8 cylinders adds up