Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

msd run-on

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Mar 19, 2002.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Ok has anyone ever put the msd-off road on and go to turn the key off and the eng.still runs(not dieseling) but for about 2 seconds after the key is in the off poisiton (and I could have the key out by then)

2. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I had this same problem with my 68 Camaro, had to kill it with the clutch. I had a 6a box, there should be a diode that comes with the box. The directions should tell you where it goes, I believe it comes off the regulator. MSD notes in the manual that run on is common in earlier model set-ups. Hope this helps.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

There should have been a diode with your box to cure this. It is very small, so you might have misplaced it. My offroad box was missing the diode needed, so I went to the place I bought it, and they gave it to me free. Even if you have to pay they are only a few $. Install it where it says in the install manual and you run on is gone.

4. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

thanks I sure must have "misplaced" it but I don't remenber seeing it in the install book -Where did it go ??? Thanks for the help,- mike

5. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Anybody have a part # on this because in my install instuctions all that is list is 1-msd6-offroad ign pn6470,4-self tapping screws,1-harness assemby,pn64601,14 vibe mounts,1-coil harness,4-faston connectors,3-wire slpice devices. And no talk of this diaode or where it goes HUM.......

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It wasn't with my Offroad box either. Go to a local speed shop that deals with MSD, and they should have one they can sell you. If not, you might call Jegs, or Summit, and see if they sell them. If not PM Philly87, he is an MSD tech, and might be able to tell you were to get one, or send one out to you.

Here is a neat little trick to shut it off while it is running on. If you have electric windows, push the window button up, and it will activate the electric motor, and will drain the power from the MSD and will shut off. Or you could do a kill switch in the hot wire to the distributor. Flip the switch, power gets cut to the distributor, and the truck shuts off.