Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AkMudr, Jan 17, 2005.

1. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at the MSD HEI external coil kit and the 6AL box.

First, anyone here runnin the HEI external coil kit?
    What do you think of it overall?

6al..Thoughts? Comments? Opinions?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nice setup. I'd recommend it. My dad has the setup on his dirt track car. I did the install from start to finish. Everyone else looked at the wiring and said no way. Its really easy to setup if you just read the right set of instructions(there are different ones for different setups). Best feature has to be the rev limiter. Dad's car is set somewhere around 7300 or 7500 and you can't even tell its hitting the rev limiter, its the smoothest limiter I've ever heard.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Thats about what I wanted to hear.

Just how weatherproof is the 6AL box? Will it withstand daily driving with the elements? I was thinkin about mounting it in the cab behind the dash or in the glove box.

Am also kickin around the timing controller as well.

I'm not runnin any serious HP but once my drivetrain is set its on like donky kong and I'll build a mild 350

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd stick it under the dash. Thats where it is on my dad's car, but thats cause they aren't suppossed to have them in his race class ;) So I have no idea about weather proof. It seems to be very well sealed up. I'd still try and put it out of the way if I could. I wouldn't worry about spending the ching on the timing adjust setup. I think you may need a MSD distributor for that anyway. I have

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

msd info

i had a 6al with the rubber mounts and killed it in 6 months . i had it under the dash. i upgraded to the offroad box in excange of the difference and the warrenty on the 6al. the offroad is water and shock proff . you half to buy the off road rev box to go with it tho. all the conectors on the off road box ar the gm wether pack kind. other than that its great. it would burn oil of the plugs in my old 350 smoker. it used 1.5 quarts in 40 miles , and after the install i could get about 5k miles more from a set of plugs.

MSD ROCKS BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK!!!!!!!!:saweet:

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I ran the MSD external coil setup for awhile. Worked well for me. I used the HEI dust cover, Blaster SS coil, and MSD coil wire.

As for the 6al box. Don't let it get exposed to the elements if you don't have to. They will take some stuff but they are not weatherproof. Do not keep it under the dash. You need to keep it in a place where air can flow around it to help keep it cool. If you do put it under the dash get yourself a little computer fan or something to blow some air on it.

If you buy the 6 Offroad box you MUST keep it cool. The heat will kill that box faster then it will kill a 6al box. I had the MSD 6 offroad box in my truck and it died once from being in the heat of the engine bay on the firewall.

Harley

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

do you really need a MSD with a HEI?

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Some say yes, some say no. I am a yes man. My MSD made my truck with a carbed 350 run alot better. It gave me all the gains they hype up. Gas mileage, easier starts, more throttle response, etc. I really liked my MSD. I don't think it would help a fuel injected motor as much as a carbed motor though.

It seems kind of hit and miss with whether it helps or not. It did help me. You could definilty tell the difference.

Harley

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

mines a 89 so i got FI with the HEI so im not shure i would notice anything

10. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

msd sells a marine grade 6 al box that is waterproof, I think.

11. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Yeh the marine box is the 6M-2. I read they are not exactly suited for trucks because the spark burns longer to keep the plugs from fouling and they can actually mess up plugs in a truck. Also becuase marine applications constantly see high rpm -vs- street driving low-mild rpm range.

I am thinkin about goin with the OffRoad box becuase its weather tight. Back home there is alot of water crossings on many of the trails I run which is why I need somethin waterproof.

Any comments on the OffRoad CD box?

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

mount in lots of open air

see above!!!

i mounted mine on the shifter tunnle and it worked great. !!!!!

13. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

I thougth about putting it on the shifter tunnel but when it gets cold back Ive got the heater runnin full blast, which wouldnt help it keep cool.

14. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i didnt notice any power gain, but i definately notice quite a bit of throttle response when i installed mine

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My 6AL is under the hood, had it there two years, no issues.

16. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

ohh, i forgot to add that i recently killed one, but that was due to water, so i would suggest getting it in the cab