Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MSD setup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mreetz, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

What's a good combo for me to put into my '84 K5? I'll be installin a 406 soon and want to heat this area up!!

Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Stock HEI.

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

agreed, while msd did make my throttle response a little better, it sure as hell didnt live up to what i was expecting, (which wasnt much in the first place)

4. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

I thought my MSD was worth it. It improved my mileage and it ran much smoother after upgrade from a stock HEI. I am using an MSD 6, Super HEI kit, Blaster coil, and an Accel blueprint distributor, MSD 8.5mm wires, and Accel U-grove plugs.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So you JUST added the MSD "box", and noticed this improvement?

Judging by your post, you did what everyone else does: add the box, and "mightaswell" every other ignition component on the truck, then claim the MSD was worth it.

Spark plugs and wires, when bad/old, make a WORLD of difference when you change them.

Show me a dyno test before/after MSD box that proves power improvement. Even MSD doesn't back it up with data. Most testing you see also includes a plug/wire change as well.

The aftermarket coils are pretty decent, heard good things about the Blaster in particular. Not sure that they are any better than a stock one, but I'd hope the price would be pretty similar between stock and OEM.

6. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses. For those you that like MSD, what do you suggest I go with. I do have the HEI now, I'm not really having any problems with it, I just wanted to do things right with this 400. I put a Crane Fireball ignition on my '73 Camaro and had dramatic results with that and really like it!

7. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

Most people I know who are running MSD run the 6A and are very happy with it. If you really need a rev limiter get a 6AL. Or, if you want to spend more money, the 6 offroad looks cool, but I'm not sure it is any better though. The super HEI kit is a good kit it comes with the 6A/6AL, Conversion cap and a Blaster coil:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD%2D8400&view=2047

Some extras you might want to look at are a Noise filter:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD%2D8830

This is a capacitor that smoothes out the input voltage and makes the MSD unit much more reliable. You should also get a low resistance HEI bushing:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD%2D8412

The stock HEI bushing has very high resistance. And you should get a good set of low resistance wires. I like the MSD 8.5mm super conductors. And a good set of plugs.

[ QUOTE ]
    So you JUST added the MSD "box", and noticed this improvement?

Judging by your post, you did what everyone else does: add the box, and "mightaswell" every other ignition component on the truck, then claim the MSD was worth it.

Spark plugs and wires, when bad/old, make a WORLD of difference when you change them.

Show me a dyno test before/after MSD box that proves power improvement. Even MSD doesn't back it up with data. Most testing you see also includes a plug/wire change as well.

The aftermarket coils are pretty decent, heard good things about the Blaster in particular. Not sure that they are any better than a stock one, but I'd hope the price would be pretty similar between stock and OEM.

[/ QUOTE ]

dyeager535 is right, if you just change the box, you probably won't see any difference, the high resistance in the stock wires and distributor cap just don't work well with a high performance ignition. But, if you use a system of low resistant parts and good plugs you will see a very noticeable difference.

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i got the Blue spark plug wires, the coil and the 6a box,

Your saying i should go ahead and change the Cap aswell?

Would changing the distributor make much difference?

9. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

This is great info, thanks!

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have run the 6A, Blaster high Vibe coil and Pro Billet disty on my K5's and really liked them. They make it start faster and are very reliable. As for power difference? Never went switching back and forth to see but seat of the pants it felt like there was some. I would do it again.

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I use a stock type HEI with a adjustable curve kit and vacume advance, somebody's high out put coil and a 6AL msd box. I like the ^al for the rev limiter. I can't seem to ever get my foot off the throttle until it's too late!! Thank god for rev limiters!!

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If you liked Crane's set up, then why not get another???? That way if the need arises, you have parts to rob....

13. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally run MSD on my truck. I really like it, and it woke my 350 up pretty well. I would do it again, but I have had some problems with it. I had a MSD 6 Offroad Box and MSD HEI incap coil go bad on me. They were both replaced (thanks Philly87) for me. Now that I have had failure I have carry spare parts around with me, but I carry alot of extra parts anyway so it is no big deal. All I have to carry in spare parts is a stock coil and stock module and condensor.

Here is my MSD parts:

6 offroad box
    Blaster SS coil
    HEI cap an rotor
    8.5mm Super Conductor wires
    HEI dust cover

If I was dropping a new motor I would drop a MSD Distributor, wire, and box on it. I really like there stuff and the performance. I would go with a the MSD 6A box though I think. I have been told that the most probably reason my Offroad box went bad was because the resin apoxy in it causes it to build heat and fail. Just keep the box well protected from the heat and elements and a 6A should be fine.

14. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

If you already have a fresh cap, you only need to change the HEI bushing. It is the electrical post that contacts the center of the rotor. The stock bushing has very high resistance to cut down on RF noise. Here's the Summit p/n again.:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD%2D8412