Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

msd.........to do or not to do

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 99firehawk, Nov 4, 2003.

1. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

So I have a msd 6al box, pro billet dist, cap coil ect, siiting on a shelf in my garage. Should I swap it into the k5 or not ?

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hell Yes!Msd makes great products.I have a MSD Pro mag

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

no way don't put that in there. Send it to me and I'll toss it for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    no way don't put that in there. Send it to me and I'll toss it for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 99firehawk

Now really the only thing thats making me hesitate is Id hate to have it fail somewhere and have to swap in an hei to get home. That and first I throw in the msd, then I figure "well I have this btm.............I have this fuel pump........and this carb.........and this procharger..........

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

in 5 years of running the same box, not a lick of trouble....and my uncle had been running the same box for 3 years straight on 2 different vehicles before me.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I love mine. One of the best mods yet.

8. 99firehawk

guess Ill get up early and swap it in.

thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. blazerjake86

blazerjake86 Registered Member

I was wondering myself should i spend the money on it? I have a 86 blazer full size stock 350 with performerintake 600edbrock stock cam 33 tires will i see a big difference i would love to be able to start her up easier in the morning, If i get it where should i buy it at and what do i need?

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you're realistic about what it will give you....it's a nice swap.

NO, you will not gain 100HP......or even 10HP

All I noticed on mine was a nice, smooth idle.....and a smoother revving engine overall. Kinda like every cylinder was firing EVERY time around the sequence.....which is really all you can hope for right????

It's a nice improvement, but not really a POWER ADDER......IMHO. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ive run them before and i plan on doing it again

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you like adding parts that can fail and perhaps leave you stranded, put it in.

Dyno tests don't show any gains, and my HEI idled perfectly fine.

13. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

It has shown that there is no real hp gain. The improvement is a more efficent burn cycle below 3500rpm, where there is a Mulitpe Spark Discharge through 3 ds of rotation. Above 3500rpm it is one powerful discharge. Breakage is part of our world, but you have quialty parts..PUT IT IN

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL
    TWISTING DRIVESHAFTS SINCE '00

14. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

It isn't the off road ignition box is it? I'm on my 4th off road box now with MSD distributor and coil. The guys at MSD said they had a problem when they first came out and supposedly fixed it. Well now my new box is acting up after 1 summer. I'm thinking MSD HEI now.

When it was working properly it had great off idle (800rpm)response all the way to 7000rpm

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you like adding parts that can fail and perhaps leave you stranded, put it in.

Dyno tests don't show any gains, and my HEI idled perfectly fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Don't knock it 'til you try it

2. My HEI idled perfectly fine but it idles better, even when cold, with the MSD box

3. I wasn't looking for any gains

4. My HEI did such a good job of sparking and not a very good job at controlling RPM and that's the reason I blew up my motor last year.

5. I have had many GM ignition modules fail, I doubt MSD has that bad of a repuatation with their stuff failing. I was glad to take that part out when I put my 6AL in.

6AL all the way!!!!!!!!

16. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

the good thing about the msd box is if it fails,you only need to rehook up the power wire to the distributor like it originally was and it will run like stock again.mine runs smoother with the msd hooked up.it also knocks less at low rpms.i can also run it at lower rpms and it will still keep chugging.without the box my engine would try and die at about 400 rpms and with the box it dies at around 200-250.

17. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    1. Don't knock it 'til you try it

[/ QUOTE ]

*I* don't need to install something to learn from others mistakes. I can cite at least one proponent of MSD's stuff that has had it fail on them.

Until you can bring substantiated proof that the MSD does SQUAT, you aren't going to change my opinion. Believe what you will, spending money on something tends to make the owner believe it's better.

As to GM (AC Delco) parts failing, boy, I sure hate how 20 year old parts fail. What pieces of crap! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Amazing how changing 20 year old parts makes a vehicle run better sometimes. It's called a tuneup.

As I stated previously, if you aren't expecting or looking for gains, why the HELL would you install something that is just another failure point?

I bet if I did some digging on this board, some people that bad mouth injection for being potential failure points probably spout the "benefits" of the MSD box. Can't say I dislike the rev-limiting features, but I can do that with my ECM.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Some of my various experiences & observations on the topic.

A) Put a MSD6 on my Ranchero a number of years ago. Seemed like it idled smoother and ran better when cold (comp series AFB w/ no choke). Put a Dura-Spark II back on once when trying to find a problem whilst stranded in Westly, CA (& getting prop'd by the Lot Lizerd). Seemed like no diif in the way it ran with the D-S II so I left it on (Issue was plugged SuperTrapp's - don't go there).

B) In a side by each comparo MISF & I checked the dwell at various RPM's of a brand new stock Delco HEI module and one of Performance Dist's modules. The PD part had 45* of dwell at every rpm we checked at up to 4500. The Delco part had 45* at idle and it plummented to something less than 30* by 2000 rpm.

C) On the Ken's Automotive Engine Dyno we've had funky issues with mag trigger polarity when using the 6 series MSD's. Have not, to my knowledge, had that sort of problem with the 7 series mounted on the dyno. None of the Crane HI-6 units also used have ever had a problem.

If I were going to buy one new I would buy a Crane HI-6 Marine. The Crane units cost the same as the MSD 6's, but come with the rev limiter built in. And you don't have to buy some funky chips to set the rev limiter, just turn some pots with a tiny screwdriver.
    Short of that I'd go with the Performance Dist part and call it good to go.

19. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

I should also let you know I do a lot of mudding and my box is mounted on the firewall inside the engine compartment. I may get better results if it were located inside the cab.

20. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    B) In a side by each comparo MISF & I checked the dwell at various RPM's of a brand new stock Delco HEI module and one of Performance Dist's modules. The PD part had 45* of dwell at every rpm we checked at up to 4500. The Delco part had 45* at idle and it plummented to something less than 30* by 2000 rpm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify here, we never really mentioned the modules or coils. I am a pretty firm believer that the stock ones can and have been improved on. I just don't think an additional box is the answer in most applications.