Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

msd vs. dui

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nicotine, Jan 27, 2004.

1. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

wich is better an MSD setup or a DUI i really like the setup of how it is all in one with the DUI. so wich is better. and does anybody run the DUI and with what results?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

I'm sure at least one person on here has "run" so they wouldn't get a DUI -I'm sure the results were spectacular /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

well one way to be a samrtass /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, but my question were about destributers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Well getting a MSD would make my day...and getting a DUI would suck for a long time with all the court costs, jail/bail, higher insurance...
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Back on topic:
    DUI is just a kit so you can bolt a GM HEI dist. into other makes of motors. It is still mostly just a stock HEI. I didn't know they made one for a chevy (there wouldn't be much to make as you already have one on your motor /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif). I bet it is just a GM HEI dist with some slightly better parts that you most likely wouldn't notice.

As for the MSD I have never used one but have heard very good things about them. Installing a MSD would produce actual noticable differences esp. at low RPM lugging the motor.

5. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

what does a complete msd kit cost excludeing wires?

6. blasterD

blasterD 1/2 ton status

7. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I have the DUI unit on my small block ford, and had the MSD on my k-5. I took the MSD off my k-5 because it caused problems with my ECM, I kept getting code 42's.

I like the DUI better. It is just like the standard HEI, but with performance parts. The ignition module has more dwell built into it, and the coild is rated to run at a much higher RPM. Plus if something ever goes wrong with it, all you have to do is replace it with a standard HEI part.

That being said, I did notice a smoother idle and startup on my K-5 with the MSD unit. But once again, I know a lot of people that have had troubles with MSD units - not everyone, many have had no problems with MSD units, even years after the initial install.

I went back to stock HEI after having my "code 42" gremlin. Now it's gone. I believe the MSD caused some interference issues. I think the DUI might have done the same thing though.

Anyways, to sum things up, I always say, the simpler the better. The DUI is just like the stock HEI, AND when you buy it you get a brand new distributor with all new parts, versus using some of the old parts with an MSD. For older trucks, that use vacuum advance, the DUI can be recurved for your motor...

Oh yeah, no problems after 1.5 years with my DUI unit on the Ford...

my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

8. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

is there msd distributors that are better than stock that you can use with that kit?

9. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

or does that kit just go with the stock chevy distributor?

does it really improve performace that much?

10. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

It depends. do you have emmissions to worry about? MSD only makes distributors with the 4 pin ignition module. If you have the 5 pin or 7 pin, there are no direct replacement MSD units. You would have to go with a 4 pin replacement unit, and hopefully you don't have CA or Fed emissions...

11. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

no emissions, so is it better to get a upgrade distributor or to keep the stock chevy on and run the msd kit?

12. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

13. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I have had both /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif First I ran a stock dist. with a 6A box and coil. Then I added the the Pro billet dist. It was very nice. But my problem was the 4 and 5and 6 pin thing. I put a fuel injection kit on and the MSD set up could not be advanced or retarded. I needed the DUI style dist. that could be advanced or retarded by my computer. The Dui is very nice and very simple. It is far from a stock unit. But Like mentioned above if something failed you can replace the parts with stock equipment or give performance dist. a call and get replacements. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My dist is set at 11 degrees and then the computer can alter it when necessary /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

14. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

15. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

also with the dui do you have to run the LIVE WIRE spark plug wire?

16. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

It does not look to me like the racing version is cheaper....I would go with the street/strip version. The only real way to tell which one is best for your application is to give them a phone call or E-Mail and talk with the guys that actually built it.

17. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

I really don't think you need a distributor capable of spark at 9000rpm.....unless you have a really awesome small block chevy.... Plus the race version is 60dollars more. I would give them a call and see what theyrecommend. They are very helpful there...

18. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have used both MSD and DUI (performance distributor) Parts.
    I like DUI the best. They are simple and work good.
    I really like their distributors and coils.

19. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

are the live wires required or can all spark plug wires work?

20. nicotine

nicotine 1/2 ton status

called them they told me live wires are good but a godd set of taylors will work and that is what i have /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif. by the sounds of things must people here are really pleased with the dui, how much did it do for performance numbers? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif