Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

msd vs the other guys

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72jim, Jul 2, 2001.

1. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

i have a 72 jimmy 350/350 and i want an ignition system to help with horse power and fuel consumption. any one running msd or the other guys? if so how is it working out and whose is it?model? thanks

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am running MSD 8360 dist. w/Blaster 2 coil and 6A box. I started without the 6a box for about a year and that dist is awsome!! It is the same size as our old points dist so it fits perfect. I just recently added the 6A box to assist the dist and get max spark to the plugs. MSD is top quality and has great customer service. I bought a VDO tach and it wasn't working so I called MSD to ask if they new why and they said "Ho ya you need an inline module to run that tach. We will send you one FREE!!" WOW great service!
    Any hoo I am a MSD customer for life!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099</A>

3. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

I've got the Holley HP Anihilator system on my truck. It goes to an Accell supercoil and Accell electronic distributor. Works great. I definately saw an increase in performance especially when pulling a trailer up and down hills. It starts right up even in winter and seemed to do a great job at smoothing out the low end. The multiple spark is nice, just make sure you've got a coil that can handle it. I picked the Holley over the MSD in part because I've got a Sun Supertach II and that isn't compatible with MSD unless you get the adapter. Burt4X4 seems to have lucked out on that end because I saw the adapter listed in catalogs for about what I payed for the tach.

4. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I wanted to say first that no high-zoot bug-zapper ignition system is going to help your performance unless you're running very high compression, high RPM, forced induction, and/or exotic fuels. All they will do for most street type engines is clean up the low end emissions a bit.

That said, in the last 15 years MSD has won more races than all of the other guys put together. I've been running an MSD model of one sort or another for the last 21 years. Some of the MSD units I've run were simple single unit setups, some with multiple units and rev limiters. I've only had one fail on me since I've been running them.

5. 72jim

72jim 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info. i had a msd6a on another vehicle i had and it worked good. but i'm still not sold on what's the best setup. i like msd and i see they offer a "off road" ignition and it looks like it should work better at low rpms than the 6a but considering my truck also gets to see the open road do i just stick with 6a and not worry about better ignition when tooling around.thanks for the replies

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

As far as I have heard the "offroad" moddel is the same as the 6A series except that it has more coating on the circut board to make it stand up to vibrations better.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

7. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The MSD 6 Off-Road box is the 6T with weatherpack connectors on it and a potted circuit board. The guts are basically the same as the road race box that I've used a good number of...