Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Msd? Worth It??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Mar 15, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

Is Anyone Running An Msd Ignition Box On There Rigs? Is There Any Noticable Difference? Is It Worth The Money? I Have A Buddy That Is Wanting To Trade One To Me For Some Parts

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I don't know, but I've been told they can cause issues with FI rigs. I've used MSD 6AL box with a MSD dist. on a few street toys and have been happy with them, but I've never mixed with FI.

3. primr87

primr87 Registered Member

I have a 6AL box on my 87 k5. Not a big increase in power but it seems to fire up quicker than befor

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

got one in my carbed street toy. fires up quicker, was able to fatten the plug gaps and richen the fuel mixture.noticable increase in power under 3krpm, but not a big increase. doesnt puff smoke when i stomp on it anymore, all the fuel is being burnt instead of floating out the pipes.

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

If your regular HEI system is in good shape I doubt you will feel much difference.

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

burns oil a lot better just ask me how i know:cool1:

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

on my 89 bb it fires up quicker,,, on the first click,,, no need to crank anymore....thats about all I notice

8. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Helped alot in the lower RPMs. Most noticeable when pulling long grades. I think it was well worth it.

9. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

don't have one myself , but my uncle does on his '98 gmc. being fuel injected wasn't much diference in start up, but he said that he has gotten better milage and better throtle responce from it...like i said don't know personally, just what he told me

10. BL1TZKRIEG

BL1TZKRIEG 1/2 ton status

anybody know why your not supposed to use them with fuel injection, I run one on my 90 blazer, will it mess anything up?

11. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Never heard that you're not supposed to use an MSD with EFI. Better tell the Ricers........

If the computer is not well shielded it could cause some hick-ups from the RFI that they generate. Any reasonably modern ECU shouldn't be affected. Use their spark cables or some of a similar design if you're worried about it.

12. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Did a new install/breakin on a 383 this weekend with a digital 6 box and blaster coil and MSD billet dist. The first cool feature is the 20 degree start retard setting...10.5-1 compression on a hot motor turns over like it was cold with a stock starter. That thing has hot spark like no HEI ever built...found a new plug wire with a small leak, looks like we attacked the valve cover with an arc welder. I like them and will be buying one shortly. As far as efi problems ...don't mount the box next to or on top of the ecm/pcm module, seperate them as far as possible.
    George

13. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

you really don't notice anything with it until you hit the higher rpm's. At higher rpm's there is no more misfirings and more ignited fuel.

14. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

I don't have one on my K5 yet, but I do have one on my 347 stroker Mustang which is fuel injected and have no probs with it. I will be putting one on my K5, just haven't ordered it yet.