Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What does the MSD box and coil replace? Is there a stock box and coil? Is it an easy "swap"?
    Thanks

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    Kn filter

Man, I need 350
    Damned 305's.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The coil is an easy swap. Your currnet coil should be on the distributor cap. I did it myself back when I was a total novice at wrenching. The instructions that come with the coil are very good. The new coil goes right in were your old one came out of with no mods. I didn't do my box though. The wiring diagrams are very good, but I didn'twant to chance it so I had my mechanic do it. If you are familiar with electrical wiring on your truck you could do it pretty easy I think. The box make a world of differnece over stock, but the wires and coil help too.

If you get the box first get everything at the same time. The box amplifies the voltage going to the ignition and will burn out the stock coil quickly. The MSD coil puts out more voltage than stock too. I would recommend MSD super conductor 8.5mm wires that way the most voltage possible get to the spark plug. I run a spark plug gap of .057 compared to the stock .035 with my MSD setup. The extra gap gives you a more complete combustion which equals power. I run the MSD 6 Offroad box, MSD HEI coil, and MSD 8.5 SC wires.

My MSD probably has paid for itself in gas savings already. Not to mention the huge boost in drivability and throttle response.

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I run a MSD 6A box myself...well on my old truck i have yet to nstall it on my blazer but thats coming soon....I love it!

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I currently have a MSD 6aOffroad ignition and it rocks. Personally I would get the coil and upgrade to some MSD or Taylor wires... gap the plugs at .060 and you should see a great gain for little money. The HEI system really is fine for our trucks.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Mikey. I'm getting ready to add the 6A box, coil, Accel cap and rotor, MSD wires to my truck. Will the .60 spark plug gap still work for me...since I have the Vortec heads??

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

Hossbaby50 is right about everything but one thing. Because your truck is an 87 it will have an external GM dual connector coil. MSD offers a direct replacement coil for this application. The part number is 8226 or called a Blaster GM. If you're worried about wiring, MSD also offers a direct plug in harness for your truck. The harness is part number 8876 if you are using a 6A or 6AL box. If you are using the 6470 Offroad Ignition the direct plug in harness will be part number 64602. With these harnesses no cutting or splicing will be needed. It will actually take you longer to mount the box than it will to wire it up. You can even go as far as replacing your distributor with a part number 8366 Pro Billet Distributor but that's really not necessary. If it aint broke don't fix it. :) Hope this helps. If you need anything else feel free to ask or you can e-mail me at pchacon@msdignition.com.

Good Luck,
    Philip
    MSD Tech

P.S. I personally run the Offroad Ignition, 64602 harness, and Blaster GM Coil in my 87 Blazer as well and love it all.

7. CaptCrunch

Yup when you changed to vortecs you should't of opened up the plug gap any because that has more to do w/ ignition power, but if you go MSD .060 has given me the best results.

Also anyone using MSD may want to go to either a MSD module or get the kit to bypass it. I haven't installed my module yet and everything has been fine w/ the MSD thus far though.

-Mikey
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

CaptCrunch, which spark plugs are you using? I am thinking of getting the msd 8.5 wires, the msd offroad ignition and the msd blaster gm coil.

Thank you

<font color=blue>'90 Jimmy</font color=blue>

Web page - http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album08

9. Hossbaby50

I run Champion Truck Plugs. They are gapped to .057, and they are a stage hotter too. PN4018 if I remember correctly.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Hossbaby50 on 10/05/01 05:41 PM.</FONT></P>

10. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I'll answer that for him (because I know what he likes to run... LOL) NGK's! (or A/C Delco's)

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

How much did you guy pay for your MSD 6 Offroad box AND coil? Where's the best place?
    Are the 8.5mm wires neccessary? I have brand new 8mm wires and they have a lifetime warrantee. I'm kind of cheap that way since wires are supposed to wear out.
    The box, new coil, 8mm wires, and some platinum plugs at .060 or so. Sound good?
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> The mud's on it to hide that it's more than one color.[​IMG]

12. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I just got some MSD helicoil wires that you cut to lenght and crimp the end on. these are 8mm wires, and even come with a crimping tool (you need a vice to use it). the wires were awesome.

I tell ya what this was a really good investment, and they wires are great for use with after market inginition systems.

it is so nice to have your wires the exact length you need without excess you gotta worry about!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

13. Hossbaby50

The best place to get the MSD parts form Checker Auto parts. They will match the prices of Jegs or Summit, and you don't have to pay shipping. Jegs and Summit are the next best place to get them. The box Offroad 6 box is about $215, the coil is about $75, and the wires are between $58-80. They make precut wires for some Chevy trucks ($58), but they are a little short. I would get the cut to fit wires that why you can route them any way you want.($80)

I ran non MSD 8mm wires with the box and coil. When I put the MSD wires on you notice a difference. If you don't use the MSD Super Conductor wires you will not get the full potential of your box and coil. You don't have to get them when you get the box, but you should probably get them some time.

14. loudandproud

loudandproud 1/2 ton status

Do I have to buy the rev limiter for the offroad box right away for it to work, or can I buy it later on down the road?

<font color=blue>'90 Jimmy</font color=blue>

Web page - http://coloradok5.com/gallery/album08

15. Hossbaby50

The Offroad rev limiter is optional. The box will work with or without the limiter.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why can't you just use the 6AL box in your trucks? Do you really think that the off road box is all that more durable that it's worth it? If I remember right, the 6AL box is cheaper than the off road box, and it comes with a rev limiter.

If I upgraded to aftermarket ignition, I think that I wouldn't expect a whole lot of benefit. I might consider doing it one day anyway though--the rev limiter alone would be worth it.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

17. Hossbaby50

The offroad box is waterproof and vibration proof. That is worth the extra cash. The rev limiter is nice, but not that necessary to me. I don't run 5000 RPM in mud. I offroad at slow speed. The connections of the offroad box are waterproof too. There is a 99.9% chance that you will never short out the 6A box, but better safe then sorry.

You would be surprised how much a Hi performance ignition can benefit your truck. My MPG went up, my power went up, and the biggest benefit is driveability. It is an upgrade I would recommend for anyone.

18. CaptCrunch

I currently switch back and forth between NGK V-Powers and AC Delcos... each is gapped @ .060

-Mikey

19. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I'm planing on putting on my 6A this weekend and I was wondering If I take out the modual?

KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

20. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

The 6A looks like a good choice