Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Is it true, that for reliablity, HEI is really the best it gets?
    From what I understand MSD is good for racing, but for someone who has something that needs to be reliable and is on a stock motor, isn't it sorta a waste of money? I'm asking for a bud.

Don't hit me, Mr. Moderator... I'll go back on topic... I swear![​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have had my MSD coil on my truck for 2 years with no problem. The MSD6 Offroad box has been on for a year along with the wires for 6months. They work great. It woke up my crate 350(300hp) really well. It made my truck run a hell of alot better. The driveability increase was great. I think MSD is a great upgrade for a stock engine. The only other things done to my motor is dual exhaust (no headers) and a K&amp;N filter. The box gave me better usable power, better gas mileage, easier startup, better passing power, and it just runs alot better in general. Is it a waste of money. I think it definitely ins't. Especially because if you drop a new motor the MSD will work on that too. My MSD is the best upgrade I have made to my truck beside ditching my 305.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. Don 79 TA

Don 79 TA Registered Member

I just took the msd 6a box out of my TA and placed it in my truck.
    HOLLY CRAP
    night and day.

I replaced the HEI in my TA with the MSD setup, and there was a difference in performance, not to mention no more jumpy timing with the light.

HEI is good, especially with the advance springs changed, so far i have liked the quicker advance springs.

I have an MSD6a box in every car i have, and soon my jetski.

as far as the truck goes, it is an 84 with the 305 and hei.
    it ran ok before i put the box, but it was a nice saturday afternoon and i wanted to see if putting the box in had an effect.
    all i did was swap the box in place of the HEI module.

my timing before hand was somewhere near 10ish or so might have been 16

after the box i couldnt start the truck, it was near 40-some-odd degrees of timing, retard the distributor
    and she fired right up, set it at 6 degrees and it runs so nice, much much better throttle response.

i have had good luck with hei's
    but using them with advance springs, Accel HEI supercoils, and MSD boxes with good wires has been a tremendous improvement, in all my applications.
    if you need a distributor, i would highly recommend MSD, if you are looking for pep, replace the springs, coil. I also use a low resistance bushing and GOOD quality cap and rotors with dielectric greese.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Thats what I said when I had the box installed in my K5. I fired it up, and was going out of the parking lot of my mechanic. I punched it out of the lot, spun the inside tire, and just hauled _ss. I was like holy crap is this my truck? Its great on the freeway too, I can just hammer it and fly past people. Its great.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The MSD 6 box which is the one most people use for the street. Is a good add on . It is designed to give a better and muliple spark up to 3500 rpm. This greatly helps to build low end torque. Because fuel is not completely atomized at low RPM the multiple sparks help ignite the fuel/air mixture more completely. This gives a lot more low end power. From my own experience and reports from many on this and other boards the MSD 6a box is reliable. If it does ever go bad you can simply disconnect and bypass it and run your ignition the conventional way
    MSD makes racing boxes but those are the 7 and 8 series and are high RPM boxes. You really dont need one of those on a stock or mildly modified truck engine.
    The only problem I have heard with the 6-a box is they are not water proof so if you mount one under the hood it is best to put it in a place where it wont get wet. I mounted mine in the cab under the dash.
    MSD makes a offroad 6a box that is water/vibration proof but it cost around 200 vs 130 for the basic 6a box

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 12/10/01 01:55 PM.</FONT></P>

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

IMO if you have HEI and just have a mildly modified 350 or a street cruiser that occasionly hits the strip... just get the MSD coil... get some top quality MSD or Taylor plug wires and gap your plugs .050-.060 over. I have an offroad box in my truck cause I got it cheap as heck. The only addition benefits I have seen is easier cold starts for the most part. My motor isn't built enough to really find out if it would preform over 4500, but we will see w/ the new motor next spring [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>