Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. blazer_87

blazer_87 Registered Member

I have a stock 87 K5 350 TBI. I am thinking about a new MSD set-up. MSD6A, coil, harness, with an aftermarket tach (probably Auto Meter). Right now I have hesitation on take off as well as kicking in passing gear. Its not too bad but just enough to be a pain. I know this may not solve the that prob. but I dont think it will hurt anything. Anyone with info such as item # and any pros or cons please let me know. And if anyone has any suggestions on the hesitation let me know too. Thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do it. I have the MSD6 Offroad box ,MSD coil, and MSD wires. Its was a great add on worth every penny. You won't be disappointed.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I've actually heard that the crane HI-6 is actually hotter than the MSD ignitions. My friend has one, and it definitely worked. He's using the HI-6 box with an Accel Super Coil. I used the MSD Blaster ignition once. It had better throttle response and it ran smoother, but that's it.

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

4. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

the 6a is a dinosaur
    get a modern digi box and leave the 6 alone

5. Modern digi box?

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

digital rather then 50 year old msd stuff
    crane hi6 for instance, i think mallory also stepped up with one and accel had some and holley.
    the 6a is a POS compared to modern designed fully potted stuff

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The wheel has been around for a few thousand years, hasn't been outdated yet. Age doesn't make a good design bad. I'd rather have MSD and Comp cams stuff than Crane.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

8. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

points have been around awhile as well, want to go back to that?

9. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

LMAO!!

Red 1989 GMC Suburban SLE V1500 - TBI 350, 700R4 w/ shift kit, Quad-shock front, 31/10.50/15 Pro Comp MT, 4.10 gears, Duals off cat

10. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Ummm MSD came out in 1970, 2001-1970= 31 years. Good math. No, there are some advancements that come along and some that are fancy crap thats impossible to work when it breaks, and everything breaks. Just because you like DIS and some don't have it, doesn't mean you have to bad mouth them and call it crap. Alot of people have them and like them. I still use the HEI personally, but run the MSD wires. I don't get a kick out of crank sensors and little mystery boxes that you have to go all over town to get the right part. The more complicated you get, the more trouble. A distributor is alot easier to get going when you're stalled out on the side of the road, instead of the DIS. If the 6A craps out, undo it and throw the stock module back in the HEI, piece of cake.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the 6a is a POS compared to modern designed fully potted stuff

<hr></blockquote>

Ever hear of MSD 6 off-road? Fully potted with weather tight connectors.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>The Blazer Boy Page</a>

11. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

I have heard the same thing about the Crane cams Hi6 box, way better output, but MSD has been around for years, One other thing about the Hi6 box is it has a adj. rev limiter, the base MSD 6a box has no provision for a rev limiter, and the better MSD boxes have to use plug in chips to control this function. Also the Hi6 is digital, most MSD stuff is analog. Santa is getting me a Hi6 box for Christmas, too cool

12. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

I am not talking about DIS, though it is the way to go $$$
    still, compared to modern digi boxes that are the same price and ten times more reliable than a msd, why do you think nascar has several backup msd units? they are POS.
    so glad you like yours but when it pops step up and get something newer better.
    do you own stock in them or what?

13. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

MSD is a great ignition system and I have yet to hear anyone with serious credentials rip them. Like all aftermarket ignitions they do puke some time down the line, but a lot of times it is from water, impact, heat, or vbrations. Mount the box well and you wshouldn't have a problem.

Crane seems to have a good following right now, but do remeber that crane's last ignition system was probably the worst ever produced. They had a lot of problems with it. I personally have a MSD Offroad box for the sealing. I have been edging back and forth between Mallory and MSD for my other High performance application. Overall for an offroad tuck I would go offroad box all the way

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

14. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I have to say I like my crane stuff. I took the HEI out of my 72 cause it was hitting the firewall offroad. Went back to a points style cap with a crane optical trigger inside it, crane box, MSD cap rotor and coil and Taylor wires .. 3 years and going strong.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

why do you think nascar has several backup msd units? they are POS.

<hr></blockquote>
    Wnnston Cup racers only usually use 2 MSD ignition boxes. Not because MSD is unreliable. But when you have that kind of money riding on a race its good to have a back up. If MSD boxes were POS as you say.<font color=red> Winston Cup Teams would not use them</font color=red>They would never risk loosing a race over a few hundred dollar ignition box
    ALSO one box is set up with a rev limiter so the driver wont over-rev and blow his engine during the race.
    Then during the last few laps the driver switches to the other box with a higher limiter or none at all so he can get the most out of his race car.

The MSD 6-a is a good box for a truck. It is not really a high performance ignition. It is basicly designed to give better starts and build torque on the low end. Which is ideal for a truck. it will help a GM HEI perform better over 4500 RPM too.
    I had a 6-A box in my K5 and liked it. One day I took it out and put it in my boat to see how it would do. I liked it so much its still there. After I put it in my boat It got out of the hole a lot faster and I gained a few hundred RPMs on the top too.

I am thinking of going digital in my K5 now. Mallory has a new Hi Fire-VI-a digi box for only 115.oo I want to try out.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze> Blazer pics</a>

16. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

nascar doesnt allowed digi ignition boxes, the teams are forced to use the analog MSD, what you are descibing could be done with a simple 2 step MSD rev limiter.

compared to modern digital boxes msd is a POS

17. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If you are made of money then go with a digital igntion box Buy the Atlas-II, NV4500, and a Ramjet 502 while you're at it.
    For bang for the buck, I vote for the MSD 6-series OFF-ROAD box. Fully weatherselaed - can run immersed in water. Vibration-resitant. And sells for $212 most places. I can't wait to hook mine up.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

18. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I've heard excellent things about the Mallory digitals as well. I know two guys who have them and will never run anything else again

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

19. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

summit
    ACC-49321 Buick/Cadillac/Chevrolet/GMC/Oldsmobile/Pontiac: 1985-95, remote mount HEI coil and 8-pin module, 300+ digital... $199.95

HLY-800-200 Strip Annihilator ignition system ... $299.95
    wow this one is cool!

mallory

$115.95

Material Aluminum
    Finish Anodized Red

the lastest in digital ignition technology.

Aluminum, anodized red finish, Mallory HyFire VI-A ignition system

The latest in Mallory's line of HyFire ignitions, this HyFire VI-A ignition uses the newest digital circuitry to deliver more power and quicker acceleration with less currant draw. This highly efficient ignition delivers multiple sparks per combustion event, so you get consistent, reliable performance throughout the rpm range. It has a state-of-the-art microprocessor and a durable, lightweight, extruded aluminum housing for maximum heat transfer.

so the msd 6 stuff is OVERPRICED JUNK at $212
    and every other modern digi box is cheaper
    the Holley i show isnt in the same league as the others as it gives you a small keyboard and every fastener with rpm windows etc

20. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

its christmas time, cant we all just get along, and was that a 2 wheel drive chevy in your bio?

<font color=blue>wheelers hate posers.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5</font color=red>