Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MT Baja Claw, Dick Cepek Kevlar or Ground Hawg

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Jun 28, 2003.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

When I first bought my Interco TSL's about 12,000 miles ago, local guys from the desert scene tried to talk me out of it stating the compound was too soft and would wear out too fast. Well, they are bald now and hind sight being 20/20 they were right. For SoCal, they are way too soft given the dirt, sharp rocks and sand which makes up 80% of the terrain. We rarely see rain, snow or mud. What I have gotton used to is the thick sidewalls and pucture resistance. I've been looking at the BFGoodrich, Goodyear and Michelin Brands but the local guys are slicing sidewalls a lot which is turning me away (I'm spoiled now by the TSL's) so I'm looking away from those. The other wearing factor on my tires is the huge amount of asphault they see but I like the aggressive design and dont care about the road characteristics at all. I can live with heavy noise, imbalance and even a loss of a little traction for something with a harder compound than Interco offers. Given that, what have you all seen regarding the MT Baja Claw, Dick Cepek Kevlar or Ground Hawg tires in the 36"-38" range. These seem to have harder rubber and more of the trade-offs I'm looking for. Opinions from those who see them often in terrain other than mud, rain or snow?

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Don't ya love it when you start thinking of new parts and can't sleep? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Usually, the wide range of options puts me to sleep like counting sheep... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

lol not me, I'd fall asleep easier counting the number of times I haven't fallen asleep due to parts and accessory dreaming. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Sorry I'm no help on the tire thing though. I am quite interested in the outcome though.

5. ponch170

ponch170 Newbie

I personally dont like the look of any of these tires, mickey thompson should stick with making rims, they cant produce a good tire, they say the ground hawgs wear like iron /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="blue"> </font>

6. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they say the ground hawgs wear like iron /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif <font color="blue"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

What about off-road performance?

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm leaning toward the Ground Hawgs because of the wear characteristics but thats the only reason I'm considering them. I dont mind paying more initially for something that last 3-4 times longer. I hear of people getting 120,000 miles on these things and running the same set though several trucks. I also hear you can let the air all the way out and no hardly flatten the tire which could be counter productive on the rocks... I'm beginning to look more at the skinny pedal these days so maybe momentum can get me past that! If not, guess I could light the tire on fire for a moment and get it sticky for an obstacle.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i bought 4 40" ground hawgs... on 16.5x12 rims for like $250 back in 1997. I basically wanted the rims... the tires are old and worn... i was told ghawgs do not do good on rocks.. they dont flex alot.... I hear in sand that they kick some major @$$!!! mud aint bad either from what i hear....

now i keep on saying.. from what i hear cuz i havent driven the truck yet.... now a new 40" ground hawg is 39" tall... well mine is so worn it is about 37 1/2 inches tall now.... and still has alot of tread on them... they are dryrotting now which is going to suck cuz i wanted to get the truck inspected with them......
    comcast changes my ip every 2 weeks so i no longer can run a web server.. so when the pic below is gone... then u know why... but here is a good shot of the tread.....even badly worn they leave deep grooves in the ground when moving the truck around.....
    oh yeah i am going to replace them with the same thing... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif