Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MT Baja Claws

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SF87K5, Jul 25, 2003.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Ok I am looking for new tires for my 85 K5. I was thinking about the new MT Baja Claws.
    What I was woundering is if anyone heard or read how there bias tire wears, handles on the road etc?
    Also would it benifit me to get the radial claws instead of the bias claws. Because my rig will see more road and hard trail than the rocks. (I live 4 hours from tellico is why)

Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah here is a pic if no one ever seen them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I ran them a couple years ago on my old truck. They track bad, wear way to fast, and suck in the mud... Although they did work well in the sand. They were down to almost bald in less than 6 months, my tsl's are going on a year and are at about 1/2 way and are way better off road.

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I had the radial versions on my K5 when I first bought it. It was my DD then and they were wearing really good. I had them on there for about 6 months and didn't notice any wear. Off road they did suck in the mud. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Eric

4. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

I love those tires. The ride on the street was superior to my swampers. I had mine a little over a year (daily driver) and they are getting very bald now.
    I am planning on getting another set. The only drawback in my mind is, they do not look as mean as Swampers on my truck. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Hey Dan... um... your shock's hanging out in that last pic... I really didn't need to see that!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I agree with you. I had them on my K5 when I first put my lift on. I had a set of 35x12.50 Radial Claws. Those were the best set of tires I have ever owned. I also agree that they absolutely SUCK in mud. I got two years out of mine, approximately 50K miles, and I could have put more on them had the ball joints not been worn out. The grip on the rocks was amazing, even with 30 psi in them.