Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mt Hood

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cricket, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

One climber found deceased, two still missing.

I'm guessing the other two tried to get down and didn't make it.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Yeah I just watched that on the news.. :(

They found 2 snow caves,but only one body found.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

ice cubes. poor bastages.

j

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Down hill would have been a good idae at the time...:crazy: I have little sypathy for people bent on self destruction infact I could use a hand.

5. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Idiots. All those rescuers risking their asses for a couple of idiots who just had to be "extreme". Let 'em freeze and find 'em in the summer.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I don't quite agree with that but I do think that anyone climbing a technical, dangerous climb should be required to check in with rangers and prove that they have avalanche beacons and/or radios. I mean, how quickly would this have all been over if they had some sort of location device or even a GMRS radio? I don't even take a 1-2 mile snowshoe hike without a radio and GPS.

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

They might as well get rid of half those searchers... They can't possibly be searching for living people at this point :rolleyes:

And the media would do good to focus on more important stuff. People get lost in the hills all the time... They're just trying to scare people away from the wilderness so the Libs can come in and close down all our public lands... Bastards

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Yesterdays paper had an article on that and at the end it said everybody deserves to be found.

If you decide to climb a mountain in the middle of winter with minimal gear and no locating devices ya deserve to be found all right. Frozen solid.
    Everyone keps saying how experienced they are.. Just what is their expertise .. being a dumb ass?

9. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with the check in part. You have to have a hunters/boaters safety course, but dont have to prove shiite when you want to go walking in the knut deep sub zero white stuff that covers a 11000 foot mountain. Maybe they should charge for searching for people? You should have proof of "come find me when Im lost" insurance? The only ones that I feel sorry/remorse for are the families that are waiting for information and the grieving widow.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Personally I don't have much respect for mountain climbers.. I think the lack of oxygen leaves them with $hit for brains.
    What gets me about the whole thing is all they needed was a cheapo GPS. They could have hiked out. MT hood is not that technical of a climb from the south side. It is rated as an easy climb that anyone without a heart condition can do. For gods sake there are 3 ski areas with trails/lifts that go more than half way up There is a ski lodge at the 8000 foot level. Stoopid fks thats all i gotta say. Shoda stayed in the city where thay belong.????? But no they had to go up the north side which is the worst side of the mountain during a winter with record snowfall with more in the forecast. With minimal gear and a severe lack of brains

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So would anyone care to explain to me just who the hell is paying for the rescue effort of those who like to live life on the edge........

12. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

that was just addressed on the news like less then an hour ago, most are volunteers and some funded by private organizations but the choppers are on our bill cause they are goverment, and some personell. They may ask up to $500 dollars from each rescued person or something like that, but this time I don't think that fee will be collected...

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i paid $800 in Oregon state income tax last year (even though I dont live there!)... maybe I bought 4 seconds worth of chopper fuel.... :mad:

I think people should be able to do whatever they want to be "extreme"... but if they get killed doing it its "tough titties". If volunteers wanna help look... fine. If citizens want to pool $ to fund a chopper search... fine... but I don't see why Joe Six pack should have to pay to clean up the mess caused by these wanna-be extreme mountaineers. The ice cube they found was what, 48 years old? Time to hang up the ice axe dude... ur crusty!

j

14. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I know the Coast Guard will charge people $18,000 easy for chopper rescues! I think other orgs do as well, but I'm not sure.

15. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

18gs for a chopper rescue, you cant get an ambulance to take you to the hospital 500' away for less than 1800 here.. its getting rediculous

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like they relied on a cell phone. Same thing that I bring while climbing/hiking/biking/wheeling. The only reason that anyone knew that there was trouble was that one of them made a call and told the person he called where they were trapped.

They also left their route with several people. Fact is that they were probably properly prepared for a quick summit and the weather report was good, but the weather changed on them. I do agree that a locator would have been helpful, but for $800, most people won't have one.

17. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Ya see here lies the problem... There was a storm coming, the weather clearly stated from what I hear that a storm of hurricane force was coming... They also climbed up the unprotected northern side of the mountain when said storm was coming... They don't deserve to die that is just an ignorant comment but they do deserve to learn a lesson and pay every cent of the rescue efforts. I'm sure right now ole Kelly James would have agreed to pay every cent and so would his wife... to bad it's to late, probably for the other two as well.

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Couple of points here:

cbbr: not only is my life worth well over $800, but for under $50 they could have had GMRS radios that ANY rescuer could have picked up the transmission on, maybe up to 12 miles away, and for under $100 a GPS to give their EXACT coordinates. I feel for these guys and their families but they were woefully unprepared.

As far as the cost, the state will usually pick most of it up and (in Colorado at least) it gets paid out of the rescue fund that is part of the fee everyone pays for their fishing and hunting licenses.

19. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Now that's not fair. There is a safe and responsible way to do it, and there's a jackass way to do it. How you make that blanket statement is no different than the tree hugging hippies saying all off-roaders are drunk rednecks with missing teeth that run over trees for fun...and you probably don't like it when that happens, do ya? Get the picture?

20. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Exactly, it was a mis-calculation. And in the mountains, forecasts change all the time. They can change drastically in hours. Just because they saw the forecast 2 days before (just a guess) while hiking in doesn't mean the forecast wasn't terribly different the first time they saw it. They should have had a beacon for this and signed in at the ranger station. Long's Peak still has a log to sign. And like you say about the price of a locator...$800 is a lot less than the worth of my life. If I can't get one, I won't go on any extreme snow climb till I can afford one. Consider it part of the cost of equipment.