Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MT/R's...a few questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Aug 30, 2002.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

MT/R\'s...a few questions

I am going to be buying new tires for my Jimmy really soon. I was going to go with the 39.5" TSL's (might still do that...) but I honestly drive my truck a lot on the street as well as wheel it. I've been considering the 37 x 12.5 x 15 Goodyear MT/R's.

Anyone have a set? Good? Bad? True size? I have TSL's right now so I know what to expect if I get em again. I just want some more info and some feedback on the Goodyears in case I go that way.

Thanks in advance/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

2. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Re: MT/R\'s...a few questions

I have had mine for about 8 months now and done a lot of highway driving, to me they are not loud and they are wearing fine.
    I would say I have 10,000-15,000 miles on then and they still run like new. they sling mud very well and can keep up with everyone else around here. Everyone is mostly running swampers around here.
    I bought them because they were recomended by the sales person and I didn't want to drop a grand every year for tires.
    Unless something new comes out I will buy them again.

3. tRustyK5

Are those the 37's? What is the true mounted height of those?

Rene

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend has a set of 35s and IMO they're not any better than my BFGs...about equal.

They are cool looking though.

5. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

I would have to disagree... you obviously havent gotten stuck in about 3 feet of mud!!! The MT/R grab on the sidewalls much better than BFG's.... So when your stuck and you turn your wheels back and fourth there is a little added traction... I witnessed this with my buddies suburban vs. another buddies! MTRs are great tires... cant beat the price. TireRack.com has them for $175 each.. for 37's
    Try and find a better price.. then buy them!

6. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i like my 35" mt/r's cept they are short .everything else super good. one i put a 1/4 deep gash in it and itis holding together fine:) /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. tRustyK5

How short Andy? I'm gonna be running 4.56's without overdrive so the true height is important to me.

Rene

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well, baring advertising money conspiracy theories... a few mags that have done tests of MT/Rs vs procomps, bfgs etc etc generally show the MTR as a slightly better all around tire than either of 'em. If I remember right a recent mud test (4 wheeler?) compared 6-8 diff tires in mud and the only tire that beat the MTR was the Bogger (duh!).... the MT/R (again, if I remember right) did beat both the TSL and TSL radial. I have read lots of good things about MTRs in rocks too.. so from what I have seen they are a pretty damn good tire. Of course, I have never driven on them so I can't offer any firsthand experience... just what I have read. At any rate, I really wanna run 37s next time I get street/lightduty tires... I might get a set of MTRs myself.

J

9. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

i just bought a set of 37s. i have a buddy with 35s who has had his longer then mine and are wearing great. they balanced out awesome, & really quite on the street. Haven't really 4wheeled with them yet but im sure they well do great in the dirt /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. tRustyK5

Josh...could you measure the true height for me? I'm thinking of putting them on my 15x10's.

Thanks in advance!

Rene

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You're from Tinley park...ain't no mud there. Come over to Ottawa and I'll show you what mud is. Then you can make fun of my BFGs.

Actually where I go, I should probably have Boggers like my friends do.

I would consider MT/Rs for my next set of tires though, they're sooo cool looking for radial mud tires and they come in 37s which is a plus. I'll just have to see.

I was thinking of possibly going with a wider tire though. I can tell you, rene, that my buddy's 12.5" wide 35" MT/Rs aren't near as wide as a set of 36x12.50 TSLs.

12. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, you saw my buddies on his Toy. He says they are great on the hiway, very quiet, and they sit pretty tall on 8" wheels. But the guys that went to Jeep Jamboree in Rocky Mtn House said that the MT/Rs suffered badly in the mud. Supposedly they were always stuck, they dont clean very well and didnt compare at all to a Swamper of any type. (Cept maybe Thornbirds). But... being that you dont have a lot of mud, and arent running mud as much as I do, it appears that they would work very well in the hardpack or rocks. They are soft so grip real good. They prolly wear about the same as a regular mud tire, so I wouldnt expect much more than 50000 miles from em. I wouldnt mind a set of the 37s, but the wheeling I do, I would be better off with a set of TSLs... 38s... hmmm... $$... hehehe

Mike

13. tRustyK5

I went down to the local Goodyear place here and asked a few questions. True height I was told was 36.4" and section width is only 10"...that was according to the book they have there on the goodyear MT/R's.

If they were a true 12.5 and also 37" or slightly bigger I'd consider them, I think I'm sticking with my original plan though. 39.5" TSL's/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Thanks for the replies!

Rene

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

do i still have to measure them ?!? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

15. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.

I think that 10" is the true tread width and not the overall width.they measure out to 36 1/2" od on a 10" rim,a little taller on an 8".Mike

16. tRustyK5

Don't worry about it Andy...

Rene

17. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

My cousin just took his 35x12.50 mtr's to Johnson valley and was the only truck there that did not get a flat /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

18. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Send Chazz88K5 a PM, He's got the 37's on 15x8's. I think he's been runnin them since like Feb or Mar. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I know this was not what you asked-but I have a buddy running 37x12.50 Swamper SSRs. He has had good luck with them on rocks, in mud, and on the street. I would guess he has around 8000 miles on them, and not a problem yet. They measured at almost exactly 37 inches on a 15x10 Weld wheel, and they look wider than my 35x12.50 BFGs, but I did not actually measure them.