Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MT Tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by caleb22, May 28, 2005.

1. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials 33x12.50x15 with the Classic Lock rims 15x10. A friend has some and really likes them.

Two questions...

Bad decision? Is there another highway type tire that would look just as good but be better in some way?

Anyone ordered tires online from desertrat.com or any other online retailer and had any success?

I want to order them mounted and balanced. Local stores are way high in price and want anywhere from $15 to $20 to mount and balance. Not everyone can sell MT tires.

2. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

i would personally go with the BFG mudders ... they are super strong and last quite a while .. i have abused mine to death .. although i just bought a set of super swamper ssr 37's ... my friend had the claws and he ate through them real quick ... they were good offroad though ..

3. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Heard also that claws wear quickly but are great offroad. Just bought some BFG muds because I heard they do well offroad but wear pretty good.

4. caleb22

caleb22 1/2 ton status

the super swamper ssr's will be ok for non-offroad driving (around town)? I like the way they look and they appear to be sturdy.

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Just a side note. Check the load rating on whatever tires you buy. The last set of MT's I saw on a truck were only Load Range B and rated for 1200 lbs. each. That is not enough for a fill size rig. I'm not sure how the MT's are sold, or if the guy I saw just didn't buy the right ones. Just thought I'd throw it out there to give a heads up safety note!

6. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I bought my PJ Dirt Grips from Desert Rat.

Had no problems. That being said I had mine mounted and balanced here at a local shop not by Desert Rat.

I love these tires!!!
    They wear well, ride smooth and work good off road.

I had a couple sets of BFG muds and loved them also (they didn't offer the size I wanted this time).

If it was up to me I would look at the BFG first, they are great tires, especially considering the price. For the BAJA money you might look at the PJ Dirt Grips.

Just my view though, good luck whatever you do. Let us know what direction you take and how you like it.

7. nmud2deep

nmud2deep Registered Member

8. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

what about some hawgs? those things wear like cement i hear

9. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

B_to_C here will tell you about 3 million reasons not to get Baja Claws. Go with the BFG or the Dirt Grips.

10. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

Ground Hawgs? :grin: They are bad a$$. Aren't they non-radial?

11. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

On my Av, I just finished off a set of BFG muds after 41,000 miles on them and I loved them. They worked really well off road (mostly rocks), and while they do make a fair amount of noise on the road, they ride quite nicely, and have the load range to handle full size trucks, including trailering.

I think I'm going to go with MTR's on the K5 I just bought, but I'd also consider BFG muds...both top-of-the-line stuff for radials.

I've also run BFG tires on an assortment of street cars over the years and always had good results.

12. txhotrod

txhotrod Registered Member

tIRES

I work @ a local tire shop in town (discount tire) so I have some background into this type of thing.
    Bfgs are a great double duty tire, Ive seen a set get 60,000+ miles of them, just keep em rotated air pressure in check.
    Wrangler mtrs have been discountined and it is unsure if a new mud tire will be released with the new fortera line. THEY WERE HAVING BAD WEAR PROBLEMS AND TIRES FAILURES ON THE LARGER TIRES AS IN TREAD RIPPING APART.
    Dunlop mud rovers are a great cheap mud tire but the tread is a lil less agressive and bit softer wouldnt recomend em for a fullsize truck such as an f250 or doge chevy 2500/3500. about 35k is the best youll get.
    Every set of claws ive changed have been with less than 20,000 miles it seems that if you neglect to have teh rotated there pretty much history. The last 3,00 miles of their life seem to be a ride from hell there always extremly choped out.
    Pj's ive seen get 40,000+ on a set of 38's on a f250and they have 8/32nds tread. i snaged them from work and ran em bald loved the tires.
    Most all bias swamper swapers get between 20,000 - 35,000 miles and while they are loud they ride pretty once warmed up. Boggers still ride like crap but the mileage on has improved some my set (37/13/15 on 15 X10's) have 15,000 on and have 15/32nds load range c new come 21/32nds. SSR's are great radial considering their load range avalibilty of up to E up to a i belive a 38.5 or 39.5 .
    Claws hook up awesome BUT SEEM TO BE A SOFT COMPOUND AND INVERSLY WEAR QUITE QUICKLY! 30K TOPS the radials I have no experince but hear the wear a lil better be advised all denman tires run small a 44 x 18 equalled a 41 x 15 38 x 15 = 36 x13.
    A new competitor to look @ is pitbull was lucky enough to put a set on a jeep 4th set ever sold was for a magazine shoot, the guy loves em and has 10k on em with out much noticable wear they were the rockers new 25/32nds 21/32nds.

Hope this helps, if i forgot a brand or type feel free to ask mostly ive seen em. Yes I ve seen alot of mt tires my dad also run an Offroad shop in town so tires are my thing all the way around and im able to get alot of feed back btween the two.

Lata
    BLAZERKID

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status