Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MtnMan210 may be on the move--Thinking of moving...need advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtnman210, Jan 14, 2007.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

It's coming time to start thinking more of future plans for me. As much as I love So Cal in reality I can get my life started alot easier(financially) moving out of state. Although this isn't too near We're thinking of getting this done in 2-4 years. That whole process seems overwhelming, especially picking up and moving where we'd know nobody, so I'm looking for any advice I can get. So I apologize if this

I want to be able to afford a house that does not have neighbors living right on top of me. I also need to figure in work available within reasonable distance. As far as employment ideally I would be looking for fire department. I've already begun that process in so cal. My girl friend is looking for a teaching position-elementary school. Also in the far off future we want to able to raise a family in not such a fast paced atmosphere as a big city.

For locations we have a couple choices just based on the little searching we've done that fits the lifestyle we want, but no specific cities or towns yet.

Of course there has to be wheeling. I refuse to give up that part of my life. Another would be boating within a reasonable driving distance. Another big plus would being able to have horses--she loves them and has had them all her life. We both enjoy winter sports like skiing and snowmobiling but those are on the bottom of the list and we'd hate to loose that but the other stuff has priority.

The areas we're considering are:
    Montana---so far this is the highest on the list.
    Arizona
    New Mexico
    Texas--possibly
    Dakotas--we haven't looked into these really but they came up in conversation
    Wyoming--why not
    Idaho

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Montana is awesome! I cant wait to go back

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I vote Dakotas or Cheyenne WY.

4. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

ok sure added Wyoming to the list

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

As much as I hate to say it you should check out Oklahoma. You can not beat the housing prices here. Bar none the lowest prices.........

6. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You just described Alaska! Everything you want is here, especially the boating and wheeling. Check out THIS to get a taste of the state. Look at all the sub-forums and you'll get a good idea of what's up.
    And as for moving where you know nobody, we did it in '92. We had two elementary school children and moved 2500 miles from our nearest immediate family. Not easy but we (and the knds) survived. Of course, we made it back to Alaska eleven years later.

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

You know I'm in Real Estate right?!? When and if you decide to move, let me know first, I can help in a number of ways. One being finding you a real estate agent who knows what they are doing. I'd call the local offices and find out who the top producers are. If you need any help or have any questions, call or PM me. My website also has a lot of information just in case you have questions about the process. www.TeamCoelho.com

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Can't help you with the location....but I have been moving every few years since I was born. Never in one place for more than 3 or 4 years.

Some people really struggle with the whole thing, especially women. Thier whole world is crushed when they are uprooted like that and put in a new place where they know no one and nothing.
    Best thing I can tell you is to do lots of research and communicate your intentions and expectations. Even if it only helps a little it is better than nothing.

9. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

We have talked about, and continue to talk about, moving many many times...what with the median home price in Santa Barbara finally coming down to just $1.3 MM (yes, that is million).

I have looked into several regions of north east Oklahome, very nice. I've looked at difffernt parts of Colorado, talked about Utah, looked a little into Oregon and Washington as well as thought about various parts of Canada.

All I can say (online, PM me or call me if you want to talk more) is that it is easier to move wht out kids where you have to consider school quality, early child care, family etc...begin established adn then having kids is easier than taking smally kids places where you don't know anyabody.

Also, work is a key factor. If I still worked in the trades and could make the same for framing here as I make there...then that is a lot easier than a profession where I have to invest 3-5 years getting to the level that I am at and would have to redo a lot of that if I went elsewhere...

At the end of the day, I guess all I am really tryng to say is do it...people don't plan to fail, they simply fail to plan...

10. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I'd consider the panhandle of Texas... Amarillo, Lubbock, Abilene, Odessa maybe. They aren't TOO large, but large enough to do the things you'd like. Texas has no state income tax, real estate is still cheap and as corny and as cliche as it may sound, people really do act different down there. I love Colorado, don't get me wrong, but besides it being more expensive than Texas...I'm a Texan at heart. The best thing is how cheap it is to live there, but being on the panhandle, you don't have too much of a drive to the mountains in New Mexico or Colorado. Probably not exactly a day trip, but it's not an epic journey, either.

Here's some links to City Data

http://www.city-data.com/city/Odessa-Texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Abilene-Texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lubbock-Texas.html

11. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks guys keep the recomendations coming. It's definitly a big decsion. On one hand it's the anticipation of the unknown and an "adventure" of sorts to just pick up and go but also having to leave family would be very hard on the both of us.

I've been playing around a little today just for fun. I compared housing costs here and in Montana. AGAIN THIS IS THE SAME SIZE HOUSE.....

ca: 899
    MT: 187

there's enough to help me make up my mind right there.

12. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

gotta put in the vote for Idaho(even though it wasn't a choice). The town I live in is just over 50,000 poeple, they just opened 2 new elementry schools plans for 3 more. We have several fire deptments including a fire department at the Idaho National Laboritory( i can't spelll) Thats run by the DOE good pay out there. We have boating close, several resivoirs within an hours drive, the best snowmobiling in the world an hour away and every kind of wheeling you can want. If you live in any of the smaller towns surrounding Idaho Falls property can be inexpensive (a freind just bought 5 acres with a 6 bedroom house all set up for horses with a huge (150x100) shop for 315,000 not cheap but its a great place. so there you go feel free to pm me with any questions you may have about this part of the state

13. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

Simple answer from me. TEXAS all the way. Bunch of land and a big home for approx. 200k You can fish, hunt, & wheel. And the education is better. Let me tell you this. In 1989 when i was at Torrance high school. I left to go to Texas. When you take the test to see what classes you need i was told i did not have there freshman education and i was going to be a junior. :eek1: After i did the summer school thing while playing football. i left after football was over came back to calif. and graduated 1 year early. Now keep in mind i was on there for school for 1/2 of the year. I came back went to Millikan high in long beach and was more advanced then there honors senior class.:eek1: so i went to night school to get some credits and graduated with diploma 1 year early. :haha:

I found my self 8 acres and am planning on a solid foundation house with over 3400 sq ft. and a shop/garage that is 120 x 80. all for 250k in the hockley area. Just north of Houston.

14. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thats friggin sweet. and the price sounds abour right too:D why do all these places seem nice. I need one to just stand out above the rest. It would make my life a lot easier.:haha:

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You don't want to come to OK, we have too many people as is.;)

I can see there's some awesome options on that list of yours. Arizona would be nice, New Mexico would be even awesomer, as long as you picked out the right location. I wouldn't even think of Texas, that state stucks. Most land is private and it's hard to find a decent place to wheel.

There are always more items of interest that I could go on about, but it's a long list and I haven't had my caffeine yet.................

16. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

we talked about Arizona. Around the Glendale area. But you won't be able to buy acres of land. At least when we looked. And not to mention the homes are starting to get prices out there. But i am sure it depends on the areas you are looking.

Alot of people don't like Texas because it is humid. I feel it is pretty easy to get used to. Of course i am there every year and have been since i was a toddler. My ole lady did not like it at all the first time she went. But after the second time she liked it alot. It really makes a differnece if you can spend a week or so there to see different things instead of for the weekend. That is pretty much everywhere you go. Also different times of the year. Will either help or not.

17. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

once we start to narrow it down we will be taking some trips. Like you said I'd like to have atleast a week there once in summer and once in the winter months. just to see climate wise.

18. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Oh Ya Texas

Man you can not beat this state.
    You have already heard about the education system.

I live in North Texas:

List of wheelin' areas within a day's drive of Wichita Falls.

Clayton, OK: 244.43 miles @ est. 4hrs 39min

Katemcy,TX: 260.13 miles @ est. 4hrs 47min

Gilmer, TX: 263.21 miles @ est. 4hrs 21min

Hot Springs, AR: 412.10 miles @ est. 6hrs 41min

Disney, OK: 307.2 miles @ est. 5hrs 8min

As far as the Fire Department aspect look into getting you National Registry of Emergency Medical Technician certification (NREMT-B). Most departments in Texas prefer you to be an NREMT-Paramedic.

Getting on the Fire Departments in Texas is quite competitive, most big cities are now requiring college hours/degree. Usually the highest score on the Civil Service test will take you the further than anything else.... Ask me how I know:doah:

19. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Climate wise we have three season and two of them are once a day one time a year:

Summer= 363 days of the year(100+ easy numerous days). Hot everything, steering wheel, seatbelts, holy hell, but very nice lakes in most parts of the state.

Winter= 1 day, possibly 2. Gets way down there in temp. about 40:haha: .

Spring= pre summer around 90:haha: :haha: :haha: :eek1:

20. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

X3 on Texas. Good job market/inexpensive housing/ lots of land. Stick to North, Central, or West Texas. A little hotter, but a lot less humidity.