Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MTR's on a tow rig?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by beater74, Jul 9, 2004.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

MTR\'s on a tow rig?

i gotta chebby 98 crewcab 4x4 srw, i'm gonna need tires soon and was looking for somthing a little more agressive.
    i'm looking at some LT245/74/R16 load range E

so what do you think about them? will the wear out quick?

and what does sidewall"BSL" and "OWL" mean? cause there is about a $40 price difference /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

linky to goodyear MTR's

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: MTR\'s on a tow rig?

BSW = Black side wall
    OWL = outlined white letter

MT/Rs will work great on your tow rig in that size and E rating. All off road type tires wear quickly. If you want a tire that lasts longer, go with an all terrain.

3. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I had a set of 285s load range D on my old 2000 F350 4x4 and they were getting close to being worn down when I got rid of it. They probably had maybe 15,000 miles on them and might go another 5,000. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm running Firestone Destination M/Ts on my current F250 4x4 and they are wearing really good. I've got almost 10,000 miles on them and I would say they still have 90% tread on the tires. They are a much harder rubber than the Goodyear's were.

Like said above, an aggresive tire will always wear faster than an all terrain or hwy tire. It just depends on how you use the truck on wether or not to go with the more aggresive tread.

Eric

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh i would need to get more than 15,000 mile out a tire /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

looks like i'll get some AT's