Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MTR's on ice?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Dec 14, 2004.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

How are they? I am also wondering how they wear?

2. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

They Had This Info On A Prior Post But I Heard They Are Great Tire. Nevr Used Though. Bfgs All Ter Are Good Ther Muds Are Not As Good Mtrs Wear Faster But Supposed To Be Great

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

the ive never run the set on my rig, cause it doesnt run yet, but from what ive heard, you can expect something like 30k miles out of a set. i'd imagine they'd do alright on ice, especially for a offroad tire because theyve got a lot of biting edges. if youre lookin for a good tire that'll be decent in ice, last a while, and still be able to do some offroading, try a BFG all terrain. i think thats what K5HIGH was tryin to say. i run a set and i love em. ive put about 20k miles on mine and i can hardly tell theyve worn. i havent run mine in ice yet, but from people up in michigan that i talk to, they cant get them to spin on ice even when they try. hope all that helps

4. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

Hey Tough Guy My Rig Does Run But Ive Never Tried The Mtrs Had Bfs Both Mud And Alltrns On A Bronco Before I Saw The Light. Jk Couldnt Of Said Better.

5. k10clown

k10clown Registered Member

I had a set on my 93' Dakota. They worked awsome. I am from Michigan and the ice and snow were no problem. They wore in great. These were the best set of tires that I ever used on a daily driver.

6. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

haha, no, i was talkin about MY rig....its got no transfer case right now. i was just sayin that i thought you were sayin that BFGs kick more asss.

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Haven't run the MTR's yet, but my bro had a set of the GY MT's on his Dodge a few years back. They went really good in snowy and icey weather!

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Can't say how they are on ice, but they are good tires. I'm impressed. Seem to be wearing real well. It is time to rotate them, though.
    John

9. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

Man I Was Upset For A Min There I Thought I Was Going Have To Come Out To The West And Kick Some Surfers A** Jk Thought You Bustin My Chops. Bfgs R Kick Ass But Wouldnt Mind Tryin The Mtrs With All The Positive Feedback

10. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. The truck already has BFG all terrain's on it along with the other 3 trucks in our family! They are great tires (except for in mud) but I am getting bored with them, kinda tame looking if you know what I mean. I have heard quite a bit of good stuff about the MTR's and lots of trucks run them so they must be good I guess. I think ill try them out. Oh and im sure this has been covered a million times before to but how much trimming would I have to do to fit 37's with 5inches of lift?

11. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Mine have 22,000 on them and 30 should be no problem. I am pretty bad about rotating them too.

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have about 6" and 37" mt/r's. I only had to take a little off of the corners of the rear fenders. The fronts needed a little more. I had to also cut the front inner fenders as the tires would hit them under full flex. But my setup is pretty flexy. BDS front springs, shackle flip in the rear, and no swaybar. BTW I highly recommend the mt/r's. They are a great tire in my opinion. They do really well in the rocks. They seem to want to stick to everything. They do very good in the snow/ice too. We get a couple storms every winter that bring maybe up to 8" of snow/ice and they grip really well.
    -Harrison