Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MTX Amps Good?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by malachi, Jun 22, 2001.

1. malachi

malachi Registered Member

Starting to put together my stereo system looking at MTX Amps are they any good?

2. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

some really like them.. some dont.. im one that doesnt.. but that is my personal opinion on the subject. I have noticed that mtx amp and other high end names go for about the same amount.. I prefer fosgate, ppi, orion.. etc... and cost at the same level.. i have never used one of the mtx amps so i cannot tell you how good they really are.. so basically i am responding but im not... lmao... check them out and see what you think.. ask those that have installed and used them around you... go to car audio contest and check out cars with those amps in them.. go to your local dealer and ask them if you can speak with anyone that has the amps you are looking for installed... get as much info as you can before you buy.. and shop around.. if you buy from a local store you could take info from the net in with you.. other local stores.. and what not and probably get a cheaper price... hope this helps..

Prembird

If it aint loud, Then turn it up !!!

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've known quite a few guys that use MTX amps, and most swear at them, not by them. For good clean power, look toward PPI, Zapco, and Fosgate. Orion's amps tend to be a little sensitive to vibration/abuse, but are absolutely awesome otherwise.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

4. aaaaggh

aaaaggh 1/2 ton status

birmingham alabama cause there no ham like birming
    in my pickup i run an mtx 225ho pushing 2 orion xtr dvc 10s and i love it. it only hits about 137.2 but i dont consider that bad for a prefab box and a severe lack of power getting to the amp. im running a single optima and a one fared cap but my headlights just about turn off sometimes. i think my alternater is shot. but i digress. the mtx is much better than my old fosgate which didnt put out near as clean an output. in my opinion you pay an extra $100 for that little rf painted on there. also checkout concept amps. ive never owned one but ive heard good things about them they are pretty new from what i understand

friends romans countrymen, lend me some parts

5. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

since i have been in the market to get an amp lately i have learned quite a bit from talking to reps and store owners.. Right now it seems like one of the amps that is better then ppi, fosgate, xtant, etc.. is the jl audio amp... there are alot of good features in the jl amps and the guy that made ppi the name they are now.. the lead tech (or whatever he was), left ppi when it was sold to another company and went to xtant, well xtant was sold and he moved over to jl audio... so basically what you end up with is... old ppi reliablity,stablity,output with todays technoligy involved... so as for this upcoming thursday i am buying the JL Audio 250.1 amp to put on my 12's... i have heard this amp pushing 2 jl 12w3's very very hard... the jl amps have to push out 20% more power then what they are rated at in order to make it to market... meaning... the 250.1 rated at 250 watts x1 (mono block amp) has to push out over 300 watts to get out the door and on the shelfs... JL amps have impressed me more than any other amp out there right now that is on the market...
    Just thought i would share my findings..
    Also im not the easly impressed with anything new... I love the old stuff....

Prembird

If it aint loud, Then turn it up !!!

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'll throw in my .2 cents here... I have a 800 watt Crunch Drive amp... I paid $130 w/shipping for it from this guy on eBay (Scala1)... best amp I have owned and it tore up my friends RF and MTX amp which cost 4 times more.... I found it amusing I paid so little and it does so much... they paid so much and they do so little.... [​IMG]

I removed my quote so gay, vegetarian, minority, eco-nazis who love Jesus, nuke spotted owls, vote Gore and smoke medical marijuana won't be offend.

7. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

What are everyone's thoughts on Alpine and Clarion amps?

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

8. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

alpine amps are a really really clean running amp... great for running mids and highs... They dont push out as much power for subs but that is the trade off for clean sounding amp... As for clarion amp... as far as i know they are a basic amp... not the cleanest amp, not the most power house amp.. but a decent mix of the two...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]