Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud and airfilters

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimmyjack, Oct 27, 2000.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I learned a lesson today. For the first time in I don't know how long, I took my blazer for a romp in the mud. All was fine and fun. I noticed it wasn't running really well after awhile so pulled over and checked under the hood. YUCK! Back in March I replaced my heater core and never replaced the wheel well. Anyway, my air filter (open element) was cover in thick, gooey, mud. So I got out of the mud, removed the filter and drove home. Anyone have any spare body bolts?

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL I had a similar experience but my inners were both still there. I've seen some mud trucks with a washable foam thing which covers the paper filter. I guess the idea is to wash the foam after and save the paper filter.
    I'm getting the urge to go and play in the mud, everyone is posting about mud lately and my memories of the aftermath is starting to fade. [​IMG][​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I use a K&N filter, and a K&N filterwrap. If you are running through mud/wetness, do NOT use a generic foam one, you MUST use the open cell type that places like K&N make. I've gone through some stuff that shoulda plugged me up bad, but the K&N sheds water (properly oiled) and the wrap prevents mud from getting to the filter. If you get a foam one wet, it's just like a sponge, and it wil choke the engine.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I used to use the old stock air cleaner but I got a wild hair and bought a cheap chrome one and was going to put in a K@N when this one got old, so I gave it a premature death. New filter today! I just forgot i didn't have my wheel well in. Live and learn, it was definately worth the fun tho!!!!!

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim