Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud and Flex...hmmmm

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Michk5, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    Ok, so I have a dilemma!! I'm due back from Overseas (been here 4 years) in December and have been getting parts around to build my rig for quite some time now. Now the problem, my plan was to do a build up with 1 tons, 42' Irok's and a doubler in short, but I'm headed to Wichita Kansas and all I can find for wheeling in the area (within a few hours) is MUD. I don't want to waste money building a flexy rig to put it in the mud every weekend. So I'm thinking about the unthinkable...re-gearing the the one tons from 4:56's down to 5:13's and hopefully running the new 47 LTB's or 49 Iroks (although I've heard they have sidewall issue's). Obviously this will be a purpose built MUD rig, but if that's what I'm going to be doing 99% of the time why not??

Pretty much the only thing I won't be able to use from my original plan that I have already bought is the rear suspension...6' Springer Suspension which I should be able to sell relatively easy. In the last few weeks I've been agressively working deals on doublers and now I don't know that I will even need one :confused:

Have I lost my mind...

Matt

The short box with a BBC on a set of these would be pretty damn cool though :eek1: [​IMG]

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

that tire is sexy

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whenever people ask what the ultimate trail rig would be like the responses always come in the form of options. More gears, more flex, better steering, less body and more tube. I think you should continue with your trail plan so that in the even you relocate again you'll have a hell of a versatile truck and you won't be kicking yourself for building a strict mud truck. Besides, 42's will do pretty darn well in hole.

4. ksblaze83

ksblaze83 1/2 ton status

Click Here

There's a site that has some info on trails and what not. I dont know a whole lot about the Wichita area but, anything up by Topeka/Lawrence/KC i could tell ya about. I'm currently in CA, but i'll be back to KS around May 06. I guess (never been) tuttle creek is a pretty good spot that has some good rocks/trails Rock Garden?. Tuttle Creek is about 2 hours and 45 minutes (mapquest) from Wichita.

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Tuttle is awesome plenty of rocks, hills and of course kansas mud. Ive seen several trucks stuck in the lake and holes in the valley. It's on my list of places to get my truck to, rode with a buddy when I went.

6. TX_GLADIATOR

TX_GLADIATOR Registered Member

is that a 47 that tire looks big. i was going to wait for them to come out you how it is when you youn you cant wait i got 5 44's then a month later they get released

7. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

Well, I'm here in central illinois, and I'd have to tell you that to play in the mud you don't need to change your plans much. You start getting in the woods with hills and ravines and mud, flexy and lots gear won't hurt you at all. And the nice thing about the doubler is that you can turn it off when you don't need that much gear. We're out playing in the mud and rivers and hills at least two weekends a month, and what you were originally planning sounds an awful lot like my buddy Dave's truck, and that thing will go damn near anywhere, mud, rocks, deep water, steep hills. So in short I'd stick with the original plan and you'll have a hell of a truck. As for tire, a good 44 inch bogger or swamper, or 2 of each is a great compromise for just about any trail conditions.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah that is one of those new 47" LTBs that were posted on Pirate.

9. mikey_d05

Totally off topic but has anybody heard rumors of a new monster sized bogger?

10. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

stick with the original plan.

mikey what have u heard bout the moster bogger?????? i like gossip :haha:

11. mikey_d05

Ack, can't dig up anything now. I know I've seen a couple of rumors of a supersized bogger though now that interco has two models that are larger than 44". I personally don't think I'd buy a bogger that big just because of the weight, but ya never know.

12. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

there are plenty of trails around. there are some outside of Lawrence, Ks. there are a couple parks in southern Missouri. and Arkansas and Oklahoma too. just might have to drive a little. Don't build a mud truck Build a more rounded truck.

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

for they mud if you have a decent amout of horse power you cant beat a 44" Bogger (if your going to run a DOT tire)
    down here in FL we do alot of playing around in the mud and I really havent been that impressed with the 49" IROK (I think the smaller sizes are a better tire)

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

stick with the original plan.

mikey what have u heard bout the monster bogger?????? i like gossip :haha:

15. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Imo, having run 44 TSL's is swamps and mud bog style racing 5.13's aren't enough for a tire that big. If it were mine I would use a rear 70 and use no less than a 5.86.

Just my .02...

16. RampageFSJ

RampageFSJ 1/2 ton status

Go to the Cathouse recreational area for some decent crawling. I too, am a Kansas boy and they have some fun stuff there. Also, they hold an event every year called the Kansas Krunch. It`s located near Shields KS.

17. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    Everyone's asking about the new bogger....

BUT

When is this new 47 LTB supposed to be released?? I've heard about it for awhile now and found these pics on another site but it didn't mention when they are going to be available.

Somebody has to have heard something :confused:

It hard for me to decide which way I want to go now... just looking at these tires gets me aroused, can't imagine what it would be like to have them on my rig :D

As for the 49 Irok's, I haven't read very good things about them so they aren't really an option.

Matt