Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud Bog pics from today, with the new stepside

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Jul 24, 2005.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Friday morning I returned home from buying this '82 Stepside from Bandon Oregon, 600 miles from me. Today... well, Saturday, I threw on my 39.5" Boggers and went to a mud bog here in town.

My "new" stepside on 39.5" Boggers and 4" of lift and Wayne's Ford Bronco on 33" Boggers and no lift:
    [​IMG]

Here's another local mud bog/racer... and S-10 bodied 502+ CI powered rig, who ended up frying his tranny:
    [​IMG]

A 427 powered Nissan Cab:
    [​IMG]

Chad's '70 GMC... who is running the old motor out of my orange Blazer that started smoking on me last year. Well... the block is still what used to be my motor... now, it has a stroker crank and he had no problems turning 38's with 3.73 gears in 4-high and 2nd gear.
    [​IMG]
    But he broke something in the front end or T-case, and became a 2wd as dark set it.

I felt my runs were slow. I was worried about being under-geared with 5.13's and 39.5's, and figured 4-high and 2nd may be too low. Turned out in the deep stuff, I had to run 4-low and 2nd to stay in the 396's power band, which is like 3grand+. I never got stuck though.

Suburban White Guys video staff interviewed me shortly, which sucked, cause it's like trying to get a Vulcan off Star Trek to show emotion and be loud and excited. I doubt they'll ever use that clip.

At my last run, they wanted me and the Nissan to go side-by-side. I figured, sure, why not. I knew I'd lose, but I'm not competitive... I'm just there for fun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't know who said to go, but I didn't see/hear it, so I took off the line after the Nissan, then let off the gas and cranked it right to avoid the two rigs touching, then punched it again until I came to the end wall where I had to let off again and make sure I didn't run into it.
    [​IMG]

Somehow, at the end I made it out first... partially cause he took the harder side and I had to swerve right and hug the shallower edge to avoid a collision.

And to my surprise, they called me up and gave me a 2nd place trophy. It's been a strange last 4 days. 5 days ago, that truck was 600 miles away and I had never seen it before in person.

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

That is so awsome!! that is exactly what I want to build my truck for. Looks like fun! :pimp:

3. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

Truck looks pimp allen :pimp1: and nice going on the second place trophy how bout a pic of it? :D on the truck or something :laugh:

4. mountainexplorer

Haha... the trophy is just a piece of polished flat rock with a Jeep on top. The clay or whatever they used didn't dry and when it was given to me, the top fell off. It's kind of on there now, but still loose.
    [​IMG]

Oh well, it was worth my $20 entry fee to say I won something. I brought in 12 automotive battery cores to a battery place at $2 a piece to be able to have the entry fee... so I guess I traded 10 of the junk batteries for a 2nd place trophy. The other 4 bucks I made went to overpriced undersized tacos and a Dr. Pepper.

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

3 quick questions. how much trimming did it take on the fenders to clear those tires? is the front axle a 10 bolt or a dana 60? what kinda steering setup does it have.

I would be happy with a clone of this rig :D

6. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

GO ALLEN GO :bow:

7. mountainexplorer

It has a Dana 60 front end. It has 4" front springs and rear blocks. The fenders are widened out at least another 2" past the factory opening. They retained and modified the inner fenderwells. With the 39.5" Boggers on 9.75" wide rims, the tires have plenty of clearance at full turn on level ground. I haven't flexed it yet though. Steering is just stock, with a raised steering block.

8. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think you need to read some of Allan's other threads :D

Nice pics, good to win somethin.

9. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

truck looks great man.

you own more chevies than everyone i know.