Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud Bogg is 1 wk... any Ideas??? Help-

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LIFSVR7, May 10, 2003.

1. LIFSVR7

LIFSVR7 Registered Member

Ok... Well, there is a local mud bogg here on the 18th, and to make a long story short, I have only taken my k5 through mud like 2-3 time.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I know, poser- /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif But anyway, I took it out today, and got into some deep sh*t.. Needless to say, there was water up to the pedals... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I probably would have gotten out, BUT #1- it slipped out of 4wd /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif not sure why... it does it under heavy torque- secondly... think I swallowed water cuz I have one of those free breathin' open air cleaners-
    So in order to get through this, I know I have to get like a factory air cleaner, and seal it to keep water out, but any other suggestions..?? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

ps.. I didn't have a cam, but it would have been a great pic... front nose burried to headlight in water, up to floor all the way to the back... you know the way...
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. LIFSVR7

<font color="red">I forgot... but k5's R the sh*t, as soon as I got out she turned over and fired right up... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>
    and I checked all fluids... they are all good! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

first of all....the mud bog how deep is the mud? What r the specs on your truck? i.e. - lift size, tire size, engine? Second of all.......you probably did not get water in your engine ive been as deep or deeper with a K&amp;N stack(open breather) and not sucked in water. You need to worry about water in your tranny and differentials if the water is that deep....and if you want any tips on mud bogs ive only been in one comp but i got second so i could help out..many of them have different classes for different tire size and engine mods so that matters as well.

4. Biguub91

Biguub91 Registered Member

nevermind just noticed the specs

5. LIFSVR7

Well, any help would be great... as far as class, mostly stock... just trying to do the best I can do... I thought it was the water that killed it, cuz the breather was wringing wet, when it got out the water... she fired right up... ok. so what about the rear end stuff?? I have the front diff breather tube going to the left front corner, about the top of the headlights... rear is under the truck, plugged with a bolt... is that bad??? Also someone told me to wrap my disributor, and spray it with waterproofer...

6. indiana88

indiana88 1/2 ton status

Where's this mudbog at? I might be interested. As far as your t-case slipping out of 4wd, mine used to do that because when I put the lift in, I dropped the case and had to readjust the linkage.

7. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

take the bolt out of the breather, it's called a breather for a reason /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

dave

8. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Running your breathers as high as possible is a good thing. If you plan to make a snorkel, routing the breather lines to it would be a bonus. If you have the rear's breather plugged, when the hot peices of the rear imerse in the water its going to cool quickly and create a vacuum. the breather will allow it to suck in air not water through the seals.
    what are you wrapping your distibutor with?
    If your in the muck allot you'll want to check your fluids more often. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've successfully parked my truck in water up to the hump in the cab with the motor running. Nothing like working the pedals... with your feet under water. I don't like going any deeper than up to the wheel openings and try to avoid it. The deepest I've driven through is up to the body line. I managed to get the waves to compress just right so I didn't end up sucking water or getting water in my distributor.

Last time out I ended up with water getting into my air cleaner which sucks air high out of the passenger side fender.

You can safely put your K5 in water up to the fuel filler with little work. All you need to do is route the vent tubes up high enough. I take one off the transmission and the transfer case and put them up by the vacuum reservoir on the firewall. The rear axle vent can be run up on top of the fender between the inner and outer skin. Another option is to above the taillight. Right now I only have mine running to the top of the fuel filler. The front axle vent should already be up at the top of the core support.

Before submersing, unhook your vapor system. That means unhook engine vacuum from your charcoal canister. This will keep you from sucking water into your canister from the bottom and from sucking water into your gas tank if you happen to get the gas cap under water.

You might want to make sure your trans and oil dip stick tubes don't leak.

Other than that, it's just interior and some minor electrical you have to watch out for.

10. LIFSVR7

I really didn't mean to park it in all that water... I wanted to go through it... I prolly would have if it didn't suck water and die. Too bad K5's aren't like Jeeps as far as being able to water tight it... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Well, I have no charcoal canister or anything anymore... as for the diff vent tubes... I think I will be doing that ASAP. As for the electrical, I saw some water proofing spray that I think I am going to go nuts with under the hood and stuff. I have a man trans, so no leakin possible (I checked) as for the oil, I am going to double check the dip and stuff... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Don't forget the transfer case... everyone forgets the transfer case.

As far as electrical, I'd just worry about the light sockets and the connector for the taillights on the frame.

Other than that, there isn't too much electrical to worry about. Once you start submersing to water pump height you've got a whole slew of problems.

Remember, your K5 isn't a Range Rover. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like to use my truck for a deep sea submersible too but sometimes...

Anyway, as far as taking on water the greatest improvement you can make is to get new doorseals.

12. LIFSVR7

ok, so what about the trans case... any ideas?? I noticed a little leakage from the front shaft this AM /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Not sure it was leakin before the other day /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

13. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Is this a mud bog or a mud drag? Yes there is a diference, and makes a difference in how you want your truck set up. And where is it at? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I was just being a smartass... don't forget to run a vent tube up to the firewall for the transfer case.

I wouldn't worry about the leak too much. That seal isn't too bad of a chore to replace. If it leaks a lot then I'd be more inclined to fix it.

My transfer case leaks between the case halves about a quart every four months. It leaves a lot of blood spots on my driveway. Fixing that is a chore.

15. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

well, looks like you are set, but also remember to bring fluids with you to the event to check fluids as soon as you gety out of the pit. that will save you.

other than waterproofing, make shure to have attachment points-tow hooks. it sucks when you go to pull someone out and they have no point of attachment.

16. LIFSVR7

[ QUOTE ]
    Is this a mud bog or a mud drag? And where is it at? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    It is a mud Drag... it is in Lake Village/RoseLawn Indiana.. about 10 miles East of the IN/IL state line on RT 10... Go to the MUD DRAG link. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. redneck60164

redneck60164 1/2 ton status

its a mud drag only a few inches deep i been in years past my club in south bend is having a mug bog (deep mud) memorial day weekend. check it out at wwww.sodbustersoffroad.com /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. LIFSVR7

Yeah, the was last year, this year they are supposed to be digging a 6ft bog . Might be kewl /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif