Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

MUD Creeper LD12000 4x4 Recovery Series Winch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ratau, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Ratau

Ratau Registered Member

I am new to this forum and new to the 4X4 game. My rig is a old 1982 Chevy Blazer 6.2 diesel.

Here in Pretoria South Africa these toys are very expensive so one must buy the first time right.

Could you help me with information on how reliable are the MUD Creeper LD12000 4x4 Recovery Series winches?

Danie

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Welcome to CK5!

I've never heard of that winch...do they have Warn winches there? Pretty hard to go wrong with a Warn winch.

Rene

3. Ratau

Ratau Registered Member

Rene

Thanks for the reply, at this stage I'm just window shopping. What size winch would be recommended for general off roading and what's the difference between electrical and hydraulic?

Danie

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The general rule of thumb is 1.5X the weight of the vehicle. I'd recomend nothing smaller than a 9000 lb winch.

Electric winches are just that. They run off the vehicles electrical system. The big upside is that they work even if the truck is not running, downside is that most can get pretty hot if used for extensive periods of time. For a simple self recovery they're awesome. If you often run into long complicated extractions, or often have to winch a fair distance then hydraulic is probably better.

The hydraulic winches (Milemarker) run off of the power steering system. The PS system creates about 1400 psi of pressure which is plenty to run a small hydraulic motor.

For general off roading and occasional self recovery I'd go with a 9000lb electric.

Rene

5. Ratau

Ratau Registered Member

Thanks Rene, I'll keep it in mind when I go winch hunting.

Danie