Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud damage? Fried Starter?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Mar 18, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Got my new plug wires on and tried to fire her up. The starter barely wants to turn the motor over. Threw a voltometer on my new optima and it reads right at 12.79 volts. I guess its time to crawl under there and snatch the starter, and bring it in to Advanced Auto to get it tested out? I have another starter laying around (although it was making a gridning noise every now and then on my old motor, but I think that was due to a bad flexplate. If Advanced says my starter is toast, maybe I can just use my old starter for a while. Is there a chance that only one part of starter is messed up, and it would be easy to replace (like a solenoid or something)? It does turn it over. But its very weak and pulsating, not enough to fire up the engine. Man I hate crawling up under the truck to pull the starter, that bad boy must weight 50 lbs :doah:
    thanks,
    James

2. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It can happen, i would just pull it clean it and put it back in see what happens

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

brushes, and posibly the bushings are wore. both are a couple bucks each.

the best thing to do is to buy a lifetime warrenty starter from advance auto for $37.77 and replace it when it cranks slow.
    ive killed more than my fair share of starters in the mud, i just stack em up in a pile and either go threw them or use them for a core, depending on how bad they are.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I took one apart and hosed all the mud off of everything and then put it back together...and it worked fine again. It had quit completely due to being packed with mud.

Rene

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are they still that price.. If so I'll go replace mine on tuesday

6. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Ok the expert of mud and starters is here:haha:. I think the guy at the starter shop is tired of seeing my ugly face. I use the mini chevy high torque started and it SUCKS! I can understand the mud but even just getting it wet screws it up. Try changing the solenoid. I go through 1 every time I hit the mud, water, rain, snow or whatever. They fill with gunk and jam up. Sometimes a little WD40 can bring it back but most of the time they are FUBAR. And as long as you have it out pull it apart and clean the brushes and services. When putting it back together--silicone is your friend. I try and seal that solenoid as best I can and also put a small bead where the starter bolts to the bracket.

7. 78Suburban

wish I could build a shielf for that and my alternator. Mud proof my rig.. Either that or become a rock crawler.. Becaues it kinda sucks to have starters as a disposable goods like gas or oil :o I'm gonna move my lazy but on out to the yard and pull her of the truck...
    thanks,
    James

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

theve been that price for a while and finely bought one last week. i still have a good one in my truck so its going to be my spare.

i have found that the mud enters threw the end where the gear meets the flexplate/flywheel. it gets on the flexplate/flywheel and that flings the mud into the starter. there is no way to completely cover that part. i have had good luck with the starters that have a "closed nose cone" there is just enough room for the little gear to come out. the nose cones that are open, it looks like you can stick your hand in there.

9. 78Suburban

I did get it to turn over enough to start up, but it wouldn't even stay running. It did backfire through the carb a little. I could hardly make it run long enough to get a timing light on it. So I advanced it a little, and got it to barely, sickly run if I held the throttle open a wee bit. timing light said something like 14* BTDC. I think it was on 8 before I twisted the dizzy. It runs just as poorly as it ever has. I honestly don't think plug wires were the problem. I can get like 300 bucks for my birthday probably. I think I'm gonna give up and see if a mechanic can diagnose my problem, and see how much they would charge to fix it, because I give up, chasing down engine grimmlins is like flailing around in the dark. Its no use.

I got the sickly starter off, and am going to bring it to advanced to get it tested tonight.
    thanks,
    James

10. 78Suburban

got it tested

The guys at advanced tested her out. At first it sparked, but they may have just had a bad connection or something. It does turn over, but they did it for like 4 seconds and the starter was smoking a little bit. They said they thought it might be on the way out, could be a bad solenoid of brushes. Sounds like I need to either grap my old starter that was origionally on the burb, or my starter of the '66 c-10 with a 283. Either one should work ok, and in the mean time I can take this starter apart and see what she looks like on the inside. I've always wanted to know what they look like and what the different parts are, it will give me an excuse to tear it down.
    If a messed up starter was the least of my problems, I would be doing great :o
    thanks,
    James

11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

yeah.. mud + starters = havock.... I have been through alot of starters and alternators.... when I had 33's... now with the bigger setup... seems I keep the components away from most of the deep goo and they have been lasting longer:haha:

12. 78Suburban

dang, knew I should have gone bigger. As soon as I get my hands on a D60, I will go crossover, put a lift on her, and sell me tires, and put that money toward 40's. Untill then, I'll be splashing around with my mini tires :eek1: If I get the motor running. If anyone will come out and help me, I'll owe you for life. I'm desperate:

http://www.havocoffroad.com/viewtopic.php?pid=13931#p13931

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?p=1644707#post1644707

and I've posted on here. I don't think anyone within a 50 mile radius of me knows how to use the internet. They just sits around strumming bajos all day :o

Thanks,
    James