Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud flap Ideas??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Aug 10, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Ok heres my dilema...I need some type of mudflap (obviously /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif) to make this truck street legal....so now I need ideas on how to build some type of mudflap and bracket to attach it with...possibly even removable, that doesnt look dumb (kinda hard with a truck like this /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)
    [​IMG]

Im thinking using some type of angle Iron either welded or maybe bolted to the frame?? and please dont even think of saying just drape it off the exhaust /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif this pic is old, and so are those pipes! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

drape itover the exhasut! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

You could get a piece of sqaure tube and bolt it to the frame, then extend it .5" past the edge of the tire, then bolt some mud flappers on /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Check out the flap brackets and hangers they use on big rig tractors. They have a small hanger that bolts on the frame and the "L" shaped arms go on and easy. Run a hair pin clip to secure them in place. I'll look around here, I think I have a set some where, if I do I'll post a pic tomorrow.

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Go with the rig mud flaps , from your pic it looks to be the easiest
    You can make them look good for the street and easy to remove for off road.
    I have even drilled a 3/8" hole thru the bottom of the flap to hook a bungee cord to hold them up and out of the way so they don't get torn off on pulp trailers in the bush , just sit back and think how you want them to look
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Or just hang them off the pipes lol /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Get a mudflap of your choice and use a mounting system similar to a receiver hitch, just smaller in size to save on metal costs. You could even use round tube if you were so inclined. A simple pin with cotter pin to hold the mudflap in while on the road and would make for quick removal once at the trail.

Kris

6. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    Or just hang them off the pipes lol /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wish I had kept the exhaust the way it was then...that woulda been an easy setup /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I'm going hardware hunting today so hopefully I will find something that I can make work....I really like the idea of maybe round tube...weld like maybe a 2" piece of pipe to the frame, then find a round piece that will fit snuggly in it, then drill a hole through the 2 and secure with like a trailer hitch pin or something similar but on a smaller scale /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Easiest way, what some of the others are describing to you. Quick removal too....

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

Easiest way, what some of the others are describing to you. Quick removal too....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats how I did mine, but the bracket flipped upside down!

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was talking about. The bracket for the frame end is about 4"s X 1- 1.5"s and uses 2 bolts. Easy and fast way to get flaps that go on and off fast.

10. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

I'm going hardware hunting today so hopefully I will find something that I can make work....I really like the idea of maybe round tube...weld like maybe a 2" piece of pipe to the frame, then find a round piece that will fit snuggly in it, then drill a hole through the 2 and secure with like a trailer hitch pin or something similar but on a smaller scale /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like mine. When I'm on the trail I hang them up high off of another set of tubes ware they won't get ripped off or bent up.

Down Low
    [​IMG]

Up High
    [​IMG]

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Brian, who narrowed your rear?

12. smprider112

[ QUOTE ]
    Brian, who narrowed your rear?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rob (ugly chevy)
    its his old rig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ooh I remember now. neat /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

i took a pice of angle an welded it to some 2x2 and it slides in the reciver hich.

Andrew

15. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

Myfriend tom wheels a narrowed ford, he had the big huge mud flaps, he had a pin set up and removes them for wheeling,

he stores them under his feet to ack as a heat shield while on the trail, works pretty good, I was dying from the mufflers untill we laid them down /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

16. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I am running the big rig mud flap hangers, bought mine at the Mack or Freightliner truck parts place next to Jubitz truckstop next to I-5 near Delta Park, cost me $20 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You will just have to cut them down a little bit otherwise they are super long.

17. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also available at just about any truck stop too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif