Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud Flap quick discos....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

The cops in town are handing out mudflap tickets left and right, so I need to think of a way to make some cheap discos for my blazer before I get the $100 ticket.
    Which design do you guys think will work best?
    Any flaws or things I didn't think of?
    Any other design thoughts?
    I kinda like the first one because you can use the eyelet bolts just about anywhere in any directions so mounting them would be easy. I think the clamps would be able to hold it but wonder if it would wear through the M/Flap. I also think some funny kid would steal them since its so easy.
    Second a simple design self explanitory. The thrid I was thinking of making it just slide in and locking it with a bolt or something.
    I thinking of using some big flaps like the ones we have on our 5 tons at work.

Heres my 3 ideas...
    [​IMG]

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

make sure you do something that secures in place very well. You don't want to be losing mud flaps. The one in the middle looks like a good candidate, easy, basic, cannot come off. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Matter of fact that gives me some ideas for my truck /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I think the Caribeaners would hold up, they hold up people when climbing rocks. I might give it a try and see if it works, I like the ease of being able to clip and they they have some movement also.
    Glad I inspired /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif you a little bit, hoped others might steal my ideas if they were any good. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

perdy cool ideas there, i like the middle one the lest, its the most boring one if you will. the third one is shiznit, but the first one is the best, the mud flap hanger thingys will have a chain like efect on the mud flap (side to side dance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) i like that.
    if you're warried about them hangers tearing through (and i would be) you can bolt two flat pieces of metal on each side of the flap and have them squize it, that ought to fix it.
    thanks for the idea too, i was gonna make the whole thing removible from the frame, kida a pain since the thing has to be solid on the frame.

5. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

I chose to do your no. 1 option. I would recommend hanging the eye bolts vertically so you can adjust the angle of the mudflaps in case they are not level. Instead of carabeners(sp) I used 1" quick links. They are easy to use and hand-tight is plenty. They come off in 30sec with no tools when I hit the trail. I'll try to get some pics up of them.

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Cool ideas, I like #1, but think that #3 would be less likely to get stolen. People will steal anything, and if you have some carabiners hanging off of your truck, someone will probably steal them. On number 3 if you didn't want to bolt them to make them hold you could probably use one of those hood pin type dealies on one of the ends (preferrably the inside because then no one could see them, then just cover the outside. Or visa-versa if there isn't enough room on the inside to remove the flap or something.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

The coolest home made mud flaps I have ever seen were 10 foot long pieces of chain with the links welded together looked something like this

8. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the compliments. I like #1 I think it would look the coolest, I'm a little worried about theves but I live in a very small town and work in a small city so I think I should be ok, if I lived in the city I think I would go #2 maybe #3, I will have to get under the truck when I get a chance and see whats the simplest. Good idea on having the bolts run vertically.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

I have some on my truck. one thing to think of is it getting wrapped around the tire. It actually happens pretty easy if you come to a sudden stop, Great ideas I am in the process of redoing mine so that help me out. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

guess Im the only one that likes option #2. I think the coolest way to mount them would be to use those pins they use that have a button in the head end that when u push it lets you remove the pin. just have some rectangle tube with holes drilled through both sides... hold the flap up there, push the pin through while holding the button... when the other end clears the rectangular tube u release the button. presto, flap is on. would be faster to disconnect than both 1 and 2... and maybe 3 depending on how the sliging part locks into the fixed portion.

j

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

umm, hello J, I said I liked #2 way up at the top /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The comment that it is too simple or plain or whatever by someone above, well there is no need to make this harder than it has to be. For me I am thinking of doing something similar on my truck, but maybe mounting the bolts to the back side of my tube bumper so you don't see them. If I am really lazy I might weld the bolts to the bumper and it should take maybe 15 minutes total.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    umm, hello J, I said I liked #2 way up at the top /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, i just skimmed the other messages... you threw me off by saying "middle" while other peeps refered to them as #1, #3 etc. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    The comment that it is too simple or plain or whatever by someone above, well there is no need to make this harder than it has to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed... certain things on a rig HAVE to be complicated to work properly... and this isnt one of them.

j

13. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

i am sure this isnt what you wanted but i have seen them permanatly attached with J hooks bolted to the bottom of them. then eye hooks bolted farther back underneath the bed.. when you didnt want the flaps they could hook up underneath the bed out of the way..... just and idea...

14. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The comment that it is too simple or plain or whatever by someone above, well there is no need to make this harder than it has to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

to each his own but to me the middle one is too obvious and uncomplicated /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, just an opinion, why have what everybody else has /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

to each his own but to me the middle one is too obvious and uncomplicated /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif, just an opinion, why have what everybody else has /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

So big tires and Dana 60's, where do those fit in? Everyone has them, because they work right? Of coarse one could use 2.5 tons or Mog axles too, but why get so complicated? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

#3 is slick....but I'd be afraid that the slot would get packed with mud/dirt, etc. It would be easy to drill a small hole in the end for a padlock to secure them from theft.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

#2 looks OK, but I think having to hold a grimy mudflap in place to line up three holes and then being able to secure the clips might make it enough of a pain, that you just leave them off permanently.

#1 Looks decent, and if you replaced on of the carribeaners with a couple links of chain and padlock you could probably secure that one from theft too...

In the final analysis, I thing option 3 is the most elegant solution, unless mud/snow/ice packing into that channel is a significant concern. If so, option #1 is my secondary choice.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The first one. Have you ever thought about taking brackets off a semi and flipping them upside down, mounting the one piece to the frame, and the mudflaps just slide in the brackets and lock in with a bolt or pin. Thats how I did mine. I ts not dirt cheap, but it also isnt cheap looking.