Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mud grips on ice?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lazerus, Sep 18, 2003.

1. lazerus

lazerus Registered Member

hello!
    Why does nearly every tire page say not to use mud grips on ice? I can see why they are good in snow, but why not ice? Is it about the amount of tread in contact with the surface?
    thanks!

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Mud tread tires have less surface area in contact with the ground. On ice the more surface area you have the better your traction. AT tires with siping usually will do great on ICE/packed snow but not as good as MT tires when it comes to deep snow.

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Contact patch plays a roll, but the biggest factor is siping. Siping is the main source of traction (for a given tread design) on ice. MOST mud terrain tires do not utilize siping and therefor are not the best sources of traction on ice.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Siping is the main source of traction (for a given tread design) on ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Siping basically increases surface area in contact with the ground/ice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

What siping does on ice, as far as winter tires are designed, is "pinch" the liquid or snow layer on the topmost portion of the ice up into the sipe, allowing you forward traction. Look at the Michelin arctic alpin tires .. they're ALL sipes. Bridgestone went with a porous tread compound to give you tiny little 'suction cups' that do the same thing. They work amazing, but have an incredibly soft tread compound to allow them to do this and can't be run year round.

Some of the Mud Terrain Tires coming out have siping and are pinned for winter studs, I think the Big O MT and the Truxus MT both have these, but don't take my word for it. Having slid my BFG MTs down an icy hill I'll never run another winter in snowy country without winter tires on a daily driver. Once you've had them you really miss them. I'm a fan of the Bridgestone Blizzak Winter Duellers right now, but had some basic winter tires with lits of tiny tread blocks and studs and they were also far beyond any all season or AT I've driven