Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mud in axles ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by exodus, Nov 7, 2002.

1. exodus

exodus Registered Member

i see many pics of trucks running in mud up to there doors but I have been told many times that it will destroy bearings , ring and pinion ,and lockers. Anyone had any exp with deep watery mud and it getting in your axles?

2. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

if it is sealed up correctly and the vent tube is long enough, you should have no problem with any thing other than 90wt in the diffs or tubes
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

YES! It gets everywhere. That's why you have to do your wheel bearings and seals much more frequently. Usually, the diffs don't get too bad, but most guys will pull the covers after a good mudding trip and drain out the slop. Especially if you get stuck for many hours in a swamp.(Don't ask how I know this) I swear to God, I had dead baby frogs in a diff one time. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I get water in my diffs all the time. You just drain it out. As long as you stay up on the fluid and the grease you are fine. Using Marine grease on the bearings can help.

5. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Doesnt matter how well sealed up and how long your vent tube is.... muddy water will make it in the difs and wheel bearings. Just part of the playing. Clean it all real good and go do it again.

Ken H.

6. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i ve been wheeling for like 6 or 7 years, and through a lot of slop, mud, stuck flooded out in ponds in several different vehicals, all of wich i owned and maintained at one time or another. the only thing i have ever gotten any thing into was a tranny in my current jimmy when it was submerged (the tranny)for 8 or more hours waiting for a tug. im not trying to call any one here liars or any thing like that but i have never had a problem. i take great care in sealing things up and always check and or change my fluids after every run.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yeap, i splashed through some puddles REALLY FAST!, and got water in the front diff, so i changed it, good thing it is not full time /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif, or id of been in real trouble, but yea chevy knew what they were doing when they put those mushroom vent things on the diff, transfer case, and tranny vents, they work really well, and they are as cheap as gumballs /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Well, I am very careful with all maintence, and I get mud in my axles. But, I get in reall deep also. 44s and a BBC, when you are stick you are stuck good. Sometimes taking a while to get out. Difs I dont have as much of a problem with, just gets a little dirty. But, wheel bearings there is nothing you can do but keep cleaning them to make them last. Trans and t-case I dont have problems with either. Mainly wheel bearings. Sometimes difs when I am stuck in watery mud for a long time.

Ken H.