Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

mud in my altertnator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87sm465np208, Aug 1, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i go through mud puddles alot, yes i grease everything alot, now my question can mud get in my alternator and cause it to charge low, or am i dreaming, this is a autozone duralast alternator, and it is lifetime wareenteed, i just dont want to replace it right now because its raining, if i hose it off and out will that help?> thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would avoid putting direct water on an electrical source. doubt it is mud, probably your problem is you got it at autozone. How new is it? Many altenators that are remanufactured cheapely are bad out of the box. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

out of my wheelin days.. 1991-1997 i went through about 15 alternators... i mud heavily.. and had my truck as a daily driver... i actually bought 2 alternators, starters with lifetime warranties..... and i went through them and fixed them on the trail...!!!! mud can break stuff!!!!

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Re: mud in my altertnator? Update

well i was thinking of going out and getting some dual battery stuff off an older chevy picket like mine and putting it on mine, i run lots of lights and electrical stuff on my truck, and my dad and alot of people i talk to say i would benifit from a dual battery setup, any info on that would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif