Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Mud in the diff....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1979Jimmy, Dec 17, 2001.

1. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Well today I pulled the differential cover to drain the fluid and clean out all the mud and water I expected to be there. (I dumped the rear pretty deep the other day.) But there really wasnt much of anything. A little grime but nothing out of the normal. Are the breather tubes pretty tight under normal circumstances or would they usually suck everything up if put in water or mud? Just curious cause i want to run the breather line up to the firewall but im wondering if its worth it.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

On mine I have the front breather hose by the top of the radiator.
    The rear one is up by the gas filler neck.
    I figure if I am any deeper than that I am screwed anyway.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

under normal circumstances the breather tube "exhales" when submerged. the quick cooling effect of water or mud on the diff shrinks it and causes a miniscule amount of air out, and after that the pressure is equalized so there shouldnt be any "inhalation" untill the diff warms up again when dry

Tork DSR
    "look ma, i can make the dog pee white...."
    aol screen name TorkDSR
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.torkpig.homestead.com>http://www.torkpig.homestead.com</a>

4. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

wait wouldnt it "breathe in" when it was cooler and breathe out as it got hotter?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i think it could theoretically go both ways, as my good friend and wannabe physicist TorkDSR stated, if the diff cools (and shrinks) it will force air out, and the same in reverse, but on the other hand, if the AIR in question heats up, the volume of said air will increase, and it will expand out of the diff housing via the breather.

In either situation, id be willing to say that the air movement in question is SO miniscule that it shouldnt even be a concern. Bad seals would worry me more as far as leakyness goes.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>

6. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I know i asked for help about this but i have to insist that temperature and presure are proportional. The higher the heat the higher the pressure and therefore air going out as it gets hotter and air coming in when its cold. I just resealed the diff with silcone sealent, i think i got a pretty good seal i couldnt get the surface as clean as i wanted but i think i got a good seal. As long as i have a good seal would the amount of stuff coming in the breater be enough to worry about.

7. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

You shouldnt have anything coming in the dif if you run it up higher. Thats the ony place it should get in. "Should"
    Mine is ALWAYS dunked in the mud and water every time I go out. Up to the bumpers. So, I just change the fluid every other time out. It needs it.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    14 bolt and Dana 60
    44 TSLs
    468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I had mine submerged, and also didn't end up with anything in the diff when I changed gaskets. (for about the 3rd time) Stock location under the bed for the rear diff, on the core support for the front, it didn't get wet : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

9. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

thats all very reeasuring, thanks

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Do all front axles have vents? I'm on my 3rd set of axles, and while my other two 10 bolt fronts had vents, the current one doesn't. Not that I can find anyway.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I cant see why it wouldnt have on. The differential would literally explode because of the expansion of the heated fluid if the differential was closed. The vent gives it a chance to move around a bit.

12. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I know they will suck in water if you stick them in cold or cool water. The rear end on the back of my burb was all rusted when I pulled the cover. It use to pull a boat, and when it went in the water to the vent it would suck it in. And yes when it gets hot it lets air out, when it gets cold all of a sudden it will suck air in,. the colder the less pressure.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>